best filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. I expected differently, but still.
To me, that's just stupid to market these things that way. I understand why, obviously the larger number is more impressive, but it's not realistic. Toyota doesn't market their cars claiming to go 300MPH, only to have the stipulation you have to install a jet engine to get it. Its just dumb and misleading, IMO.

I am considering between the
Eheim Ecco 2236 - 158gph - 80 gallon tank
Filstar XP3 - 350gph - 175 gallon tank

Evidently both numbers are for an empty canister, but because the XP3 is rated for 175 gallon tanks, it has higher flow. I guess it would be more fair to compare the 2236 to the XP2, which is 300gph, since it's rated for a 75 gallon tank.

Anyway, I've heard nothing but good things about both of these canisters, But considering the difference in price (or lack thereof) I'm leaning towards the XP3 based on:
higher flow rate
Same media capacity

I'm hoping to find one used, but if not I'll probably be getting one soon.

neilanh - agreed. Its the same with Hometheater. Alot of the entry level receivers (Sony, lowerend Yamaha, Sherwood, etc) say 100watts per channel max, but that is typically when they only run stereo 2 channel but, place 100watts for all 5 channels. Compared to the other mid and hi end recievers or amps that rate it at continous channel. My Rotel Amp weighs 37lbs and is rated at 120watts continous (not max).

Do the online print petsmart price and take it to petsmart to get a XP3 for about $104 or an XP2 cheaper.

Good luck and keep us update on what you do and if you have questions on the XP3s I have tow that have been running about 2-3 years now.

haha... great comparison, you're exactly right.

I was at Petsmart today getting a replcement air stone (broke mine last night), and I saw the XP3 for what I thought was $89.... but it was just in the wrong place. When I found the right tag it was $159. If they'll match it down to $104 that's cheaper than I've seen it anywhere. I'm still trying to justify it in my head. Technically my HOB is probably fine, but I just feel like I'm underfiltered.

Thanks!

Just for completeness, I emailed the guys at Rena too and asked the same question. Here's their response:
Technically, you will lose very little flow rate due to the media and other surfaces that provide friction. It should be no more than 10%.

Additionally I found a "like new" Magnum 350 for $79 used. I never looked at the magnums - thoughts?

neilanh -

Thats a pretty good claim they have on how much flow rate is reduced.

I'm biased to XP's since those are the only canisters I have used. Also for only about $25 more (by price matching at Petsmart) you could have a brand new one and if you have problems within 30days, exchange it. I don’t recall if it was them or Petco with a very generous return policy that allowed you to return an item if it was past 30days. I would try a search on here and the web regarding the magnum filters.

Yeah I agree, I'm leaning towards the XP3 myself for the online price. I just haven't researched the magnum and came accross it on craigs list and thought I'd mention it.

Yeah, sorry Molly!

But, I did pick up the XP3 today. Petsmart honored the online price, even though they had it listed for $179. First impressions are WOW. There's TONS of room for media in this thing, the options they provide hardware for to allow you to configure the flow in the tank are great, and it's strong, and it's dead quiet. I am completely impressed. I'm running it with my HOB, so I should have tons of filtration :) I didn't pick up any extra media today, I'll do that tomorrow. I wasn't sure what came in the box. I want to pick up some stars to fill the other media trays. I currently have the 4 sponges on the bottom, ceramic rings next (all I had at home), then the biochem zorb and microfilter on top. Other than adding the stars, anything else I need to run? Is the biochem zorb thing just AC?

The only thing I don't like is the intake tube is blue, so it shows up against my black background. It's color coded I guess, because the intake side on the canister is also blue, but I wish the intake was black so it'd blend in.

neilanh said:
The only thing I don't like is the intake tube is blue, so it shows up against my black background. It's color coded I guess, because the intake side on the canister is also blue, but I wish the intake was black so it'd blend in.

I agree with the color being rather odd. I went and purchased a set of Eheim inlet and sparybar that are charcoal colored and they are almost invisible.

Ooohh, good idea. The spraybar is black, so that's fine. I'll look into getting an intake. it's the same size tubing?

neilanh said:
Yeah, sorry Molly!

But, I did pick up the XP3 today. Petsmart honored the online price, even though they had it listed for $179. First impressions are WOW. There's TONS of room for media in this thing, the options they provide hardware for to allow you to configure the flow in the tank are great, and it's strong, and it's dead quiet. I am completely impressed. I'm running it with my HOB, so I should have tons of filtration :) I didn't pick up any extra media today, I'll do that tomorrow. I wasn't sure what came in the box. I want to pick up some stars to fill the other media trays. I currently have the 4 sponges on the bottom, ceramic rings next (all I had at home), then the biochem zorb and microfilter on top. Other than adding the stars, anything else I need to run? Is the biochem zorb thing just AC?

I'd pass on using the biochem zorb, I believe it is carbon/charcoal, so you don;t need it unless you are removing meds. in the top container where the bio chem would go fill it with filter floss and the blue divider, and then the microfilter, this will help really polish your water. In case you didn't know once you have the bacteria in you ceramic rings never rise it with tap water as it will destroy the bacteria. I have never rinsed it in the 3 or so years I have had it and its perfectly fine. Every 2-3 months I will hose out the 4 pads, the filter flos or replace it, and the micro filter pad. The intake color sucks, but hey if so far that is the only thing that sucks its not really that bad if you think of what other things could be wrong.

Glad you like it. If you plan on removing your Emp keep on there for about 3-4 weeks to make sure you have a good amount of bacteria in the canister. And when you move it, fed the fish sparingly while keep and eye on your water parameters for a about a week or two to make sure the bacteria in the canister has caught up to the bio load.

THanks for the info. I didn't realize that I needed to run floss with the micro- pads. I'll put that in later today when I add more rings and stars. Can I just stuff the floss in the tray, or should I bag it in a media bag first?

Yeah, the Emp will stay on for at least a month before I take it off. I still haven't decided if I will take it off yet or not, so I have at least a month to figure that out :)

FWIW

I put what ceramic rings I had in one tray and bio-balls that I had left over from making my co2 reactor in the other tray with the micro pad on top of them. So far the water is crystal clear, I suppose the plants may have something to do with that too. I'm doing this in both my 29 and my 55 and no issues.

Oh one other thing. I wanted my biowheel filter out of here asap. I took the wheel and broke it apart. placed the pleated media as well as the blue sponge in one of the trays on top of the ceramic rings and ran like that for about a month. Never saw a spike or a noticeable change in any parameters. When I took the XP apart to rinse out the pads, I just took the old bio-wheel media out and threw it in the trash with a smile on my face... So long!

HTH

also does ny 1 no if the Tetratec EX filters are any gd i cant find many rewiews on them

neilanh said:
THanks for the info. I didn't realize that I needed to run floss with the micro- pads. I'll put that in later today when I add more rings and stars. Can I just stuff the floss in the tray, or should I bag it in a media bag first?

I just stuff it in the tray and put the mircofitler pad on top, the pad keeps the filter floss from making into your tank. You don't "need" to do it, but many people do this ad another way to polish their water.

also does ny 1 no if the Tetratec EX filters are any gd i cant find many rewiews on them

Sorry have never used one, I more familiar with the Emps, XPs, and alittel with the ACs.

does any 1 no weather the tetratech ex filters are any good cant find many reviews on them

i have decided to go with the xp3 for my tank and was wondering if there is any media replacments i should buy or that doesnt come with it??

Definately get some ceramic rings. Mine came with some sponges, but no bio media. Ceramic rings or bio balls are a good thing. You'll also probably want to pick up some filter floss to go in as well.

it'll come with a bio-chem zorb bag that contains carbon, but you really don't need to run carbon unless you're trying to clear medications or something out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom