Best thing to feed oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t27countryboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everybody!I would like to know what people that own oscars like to feed them.I feed mine Cichlid Gold pellets by Hikari and freeze dried Krill by San Francisco Bay.They come up and snatch the krill right out of my fingers.I love to feed them the krill.They seem to enjoy the krill so much.I mix it up though so they get the pellets also.Everytime I even get close to the tank the oscars will come right up close to the glass and just start going crazy begging for food.I love those guys.Its hard not to feed them to much though.I think you could give them the whole bottle of krill and they would gobble it all up.

I feed mine Omega One cichlid pellets as a staple, and supplement with dried krill, freeze dried shrimp, and live food as a treat. They never liked the Hikari pellets and would always spit them out.

I used to give mine live fish for a treat also, but someone told me that the feeders could bring diseases to my aquarium so I stopped giving them live food as treats and now use just the krill and pellets.

I used to give mine live fish for a treat also, but someone told me that the feeders could bring diseases to my aquarium so I stopped giving them live food as treats and now use just the krill and pellets.

Just make sure you get feeders from a reputable place. Healthy feeders won't do harm to your tank. I used to buy rosy reds as a treat for an oscar that a friend of mine had, and he never got sick from them.

Live food doesn't have to be just feeder fish. It can also be earthworms, black worms, crickets, flies, etc. :wink:

My oscars get:
New life spectrum large cichlid formula as a staple food and crickets, earthworms as live food treats.
They also get frieeze dried shrimp, krill, and plankton.

Whatever you feed, make sure you mix it up. Variety is key to keeping these guys healthy. Here is a picture of a very sad oscar that was fed only goldfish and Hikari cichlid pellets.

schooltank0029ms.jpg

Goldfish are poor feeders and have hardly any nutritious value. If you want to feed live food do what Gunnie suggested and feed insects, crayfish, crabs, worms and other fish that come from where oscars come from. If you feed prepared foods, get a few different brands and formulas so that if one is lacking in something, the others make up for it.

Jus like da peoples said....variety, variety, variety! Good quality pellets, earthworms, livebearers, crickets, superworms, cicadas, etc.

Back
Top Bottom