Best way to do a PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes PetSmart sells them for about $65. But a cheaper way to do it....They also sell just the inline valve (like the Python) which is only $10, and then go to Home Depot and get the clear tubing. Make sure you bring the valve with you when you get the tubing to make sure you get the right size. I did it that way and it works fantastic!!! Only cost me about $17. Good luck!

I am lucky, the sprayer from my sink reaches my Tank. If you fill from the tap, most people have hoses, those can reach inside too. A separate hose out the window makes for a fast siphon. My lawn loves used fish water.

Yes PetSmart sells them for about $65. But a cheaper way to do it....They also sell just the inline valve (like the Python) which is only $10, and then go to Home Depot and get the clear tubing. Make sure you bring the valve with you when you get the tubing to make sure you get the right size. I did it that way and it works fantastic!!! Only cost me about $17. Good luck!

by 'inline valve' do you mean the attachment that goes on the faucet that looks like a T ?

I would definitely recommend the Python. It takes a lot of time, stress, and frustration out of the process. I have a 55 gal and I do a 25%-30% PWC every week. I use the pyhton to vacuum the gravel while draining water at the same time. After that I use some declor water to fill the tank back up. It takes me about 5 bucket fulls. I know some people use the python to put water back into the tank, but adding straight tap water scares me. I know a lot of people do it without problems though. If you can, I'd suggest decloring the water first.

Also, I respectfully disgaree with the post that says a 25% PWC is useless. I'm sure you're more of an aquarium expert than me, but in all the research I've done on the PWC topic, 25% once a week is what is recommended. Maybe more is better, but I doubt 25% is useless. 50% seems like a lot to do once a week, but to each their own. There is so much advice on the internet that contradicts other advice, you just need to find out what works for you.

Also, I respectfully disgaree with the post that says a 25% PWC is useless. I'm sure you're more of an aquarium expert than me, but in all the research I've done on the PWC topic, 25% once a week is what is recommended. Maybe more is better, but I doubt 25% is useless. 50% seems like a lot to do once a week, but to each their own. There is so much advice on the internet that contradicts other advice, you just need to find out what works for you.

Who said 25% was useless? i said IMO (which means my opinion, and just that) that less than 25% was useless... when they said they only planned on doing 10%, thats when i said more should be done. Some people can do just fine doing 10%, some dont even do pwc's but those are established aquariums with huge bacteria colonies that can get rid of the waste on its own. On a tank that has just been set up, i dont see that happening... And once again, when it says imo, im not going based on facts, im going based on my opinion, which is what ive learned in my own experience. I have mbuna in my 150, which produce ALOT of waste, so doing 50% is just my way of making sure i dont have any ammonia problems.

I understand. My point was that I don't think you should say any PWC is "useless", implying that not doing it and doing it would have the same effect. Any PWC is probably better than no PWC, even if you are doing 10%. I misunderstood your post to mean that a 25% PWC is usless, my apologies.

Being relatively new at this, I've learned it's amazing how much information is out there that is stated with conviction that is just flat out wrong. I try to not post anything on here unless I'm 100% sure it's accurate, just in case someone happens to rely on it.

Thanks for your clarification. I find a lot of your posts helpful, so I didn't mean to discourage you stating your opinion.

I think it should be said too that in an established tank the ammonia level should be zero. PWCs are not just about ammonia. In an established tank you could go months without a water change and still see zero ammonia, but it doesn't mean the water is healthy. If you just fill up the tank to replace evaporation, it means you are not removing ions and minerals from the water that stay in the tank as water evaporates. By performing weekly pwcs, you are ensuring that you are keeping everything in equilibrium.

50% pwcs are ok, and pretty normal, especially with planted tanks. But 25% is most likely adequate if you aren't adding ferts and other chemicals to the water.

Doing 25% a week is way easier, and healthier for the fish, than going months between maintenance and doing massive cleanups and water changes.

I think it should be said too that in an established tank the ammonia level should be zero. PWCs are not just about ammonia. In an established tank you could go months without a water change and still see zero ammonia, but it doesn't mean the water is healthy. If you just fill up the tank to replace evaporation, it means you are not removing ions and minerals from the water that stay in the tank as water evaporates. By performing weekly pwcs, you are ensuring that you are keeping everything in equilibrium.

50% pwcs are ok, and pretty normal, especially with planted tanks. But 25% is most likely adequate if you aren't adding ferts and other chemicals to the water.

Doing 25% a week is way easier, and healthier for the fish, than going months between maintenance and doing massive cleanups and water changes.
very good point...

By inline valve, I meant that the little switch on the "T" is inline with the valve when you are siphoning water out. It is not inline when you are filling it up. They are called inline valves in construction where I used to work. But yes, it would be the "T" valve at PetSmart.

Just want to say thanks guys for recommending the Python system. I did a whole complete gravel cleaning and a PWC in less than a half hour. It really works well. It takes a little time to get used to getting the vales in the right position and getting the water going the right way, but it is an awesome system. Definitely recommend!

Back
Top Bottom