Best way to do a PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrystalClear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the best way to do a PWC on a tank with fish in it? I have only changed 5% of the water once and that was during my cycle, which is easy. I plan on doing about a 10% water change this weekend and would like to know how you guys recommend going about it. Is it better to get one of those pumps that drain the water out, or just taking water out via a 1 gallon bottle (or something similar) safe and stress free? I have 4 cichlids and they are very nosy about what is going on, so I don't want to stress them out too much.

why only 10%? what size tank? i do 50% weekly in all my tanks... doing less than 25-30% imo is useless... and you need to use a gravel vac do get the waste out of the substrate... what kind of cichlids are they?

Unless you have a very small tank, you may want to invest in a Python to perform gravel vacs and WC's. Due to their popularity they are quite pricey. If you are handy you can make a DIY version. There are some useful threads on here for that.

okay, you want to get one of these from like petsmart or petco or something, they can be found at like ALL lfs: Top Fin® Gravel Vacuums - Aquarium Maintenance - Fish - PetSmart

its just a tube that makes a siphon that drains the water out. but if you really wanted to have a good one, get this. it is called the Python No Spill Clean and Fill. it connects to your sink and lets you drain and fill your tank right from your faucet: Python Aquarium Gravel Cleaner: Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System at PETCO

why only 10%? what size tank? i do 50% weekly in all my tanks... doing less than 25-30% imo is useless... and you need to use a gravel vac do get the waste out of the substrate... what kind of cichlids are they?

75Gal. I have tested everyday and had barely any rise in ammonia and virtually no rise in algae. I asked at the LFS and they recommended that the water should be changed in small amounts to not "shock" the tank as much and to do a 50% water change only monthly or if levels of ammonia get too high. They said to test everyday and to tray and stay within a 10-20% limit for water changes weekly unless it gets out of control.

They are albino and peacock cichlids.

I may indeed look into the python system. I knew I had to get a gravel vac, but didn't do too much research on one before. Thanks for the info.

I don't agree with your LFS. I have a 90 gallon tank, a python, and bi-weekly do 70 gallon water changes with no problems at all.

ok, imo you should be doing alot more than that. you shouldnt have any algae, algae is usually a combination of too much light and too much food. how often do you feed? how long do you leave your lights on? what are your test results? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

ok, imo you should be doing alot more than that. you shouldnt have any algae, algae is usually a combination of too much light and too much food. how often do you feed? how long do you leave your lights on? what are your test results? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

okay, so the too much food thing is obvious. they dont have a siphon to get the stuff off the bottom. so unless they had a good filter and something that digs in the substrate a lot, then theres gonna be lotsa food at the bottom lol.

okay, so the too much food thing is obvious. they dont have a siphon to get the stuff off the bottom. so unless they had a good filter and something that digs in the substrate a lot, then theres gonna be lotsa food at the bottom lol.
the only way there would be food at the bottom is if they feed to much...

yeah, but its better to assume that they do than assume that they dont. makes addressing th problem easier. and lets face it, most people just throw in the food and dont bother to watch if all of it gets eaten. i do, but lots of people dont.

No algae in my tank what so ever. I feed twice a day, once in the morning and once towards afternoon when the light comes on. Light only comes on for about 5 1/2 hours. There is some small sun in the morning that indirectly hits the tank for an hour or so.

Ammonia is at 0
Nitrite is .05
Nitrates are 25

yeah, but its better to assume that they do than assume that they dont. makes addressing th problem easier. and lets face it, most people just throw in the food and dont bother to watch if all of it gets eaten. i do, but lots of people dont.

Watching them eat is actually the enjoyment I get out of the fish, especially with cichlids.

I throw in only a couple pinches, after that they either don't see it fall or begin to swim away from it.

After doing some looking up online I think I am going with the python system. It may cost more, but may payoff in the long run a lot easier.

Does anyone know if Petsmart sells it? My closes petco is pretty far, as is my preferable LFS and I want to get it before this weekend.

If you don't want the drive, you could always have it overnighted from a trusted online vendor like Big Al's. Depending on what your financial situation is like of course.

many can get away with 10%. 10-25% is normal for most people. def not worthless.
75Gal. I have tested everyday and had barely any rise in ammonia and virtually no rise in algae. I asked at the LFS and they recommended that the water should be changed in small amounts to not "shock" the tank as much and to do a 50% water change only monthly or if levels of ammonia get too high. They said to test everyday and to tray and stay within a 10-20% limit for water changes weekly unless it gets out of control.

They are albino and peacock cichlids.
typically wrong. i do 50% water changes in my tanks for years no problem. with the python it makes things so easy. petsmart used to sell them i havent been in one for a couple years.

Back
Top Bottom