best way to make tank crystal clear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Omg! I just took out 1 of my 2 canisters, rinsed everything off, added carbon and I plugged it back in and its not doing anything!! Motor doesn't sound like its running :(

What type of canister? Double check the impeller ... Sounds like it's is not in it's housing all the way... That was the issue with mine once.

jcolon said:
What type of canister? Double check the impeller ... Sounds like it's is not in it's housing all the way... That was the issue with mine once.

It's an FX5... practically brand new only like 6 months old.. I'm gonna disconnect it again and drain it n inspect it, I hope its not broken :(

K I just pulled off the impeller and there was a lot of sand in there(from when I first added sand I guess) and 2 of the 4 screws weren't even tight, so I'm gonna put it all back together n see what happens, fingers crossed!!!!

Okay I have 2 Fluval FX5's.. any specific kind or just the one Fluval makes? And do you know which tray it would best go in? Right now I just have BioMax in all 3 trays in both filters.

I never had good luck with the Fluval X series filters. My water was never clear. I changed over to an AquaClear filter and within 24 hours, the tank was clear.

I don't agree with just biomax. You have no sponges or floss material media at all?

LyndaB said:
I never had good luck with the Fluval X series filters. My water was never clear. I changed over to an AquaClear filter and within 24 hours, the tank was clear.

I don't agree with just biomax. You have no sponges or floss material media at all?

Yes!! I got it to work! :)

Right now I have the pads going around the outside of the trays, biomax in 2 trays and carbon in another. I've never had a problem with the FX5 other than this one incident.. it kept my 55 gallon crystal clear before tho.

Good call on the carbon guys, tanks already looking better and it hasn't even been 24hrs yet :)

Ehh carbon helped for a lil bit but my DW is still releasing lots of tannins so you can't even see a difference lol :/

DanS180 said:
Ehh carbon helped for a lil bit but my DW is still releasing lots of tannins so you can't even see a difference lol :/

Firstly how big is your tank? Not entirely relevant but just saw 2 x FX5 so thought that was impressive. Great filters but seem a bit temperamental to being turned off then back on.

If you're impatient the best you can do is take out the driftwood and boil it (Size dependent) coupled with water changes. Tannins tend to dissipate naturally over time as a result of filter media/water changes though.

Cynic said:
Firstly how big is your tank? Not entirely relevant but just saw 2 x FX5 so thought that was impressive. Great filters but seem a bit temperamental to being turned off then back on.

If you're impatient the best you can do is take out the driftwood and boil it (Size dependent) coupled with water changes. Tannins tend to dissipate naturally over time as a result of filter media/water changes though.

Its a 180 gallon tank.. and I have no problems really with my filters they work great :) and usually every 2-3 days my tank gets yellow so I do a huge water change and it fixes it for a few days then it goes back to yellowish lol

Unfortunately I can't boil the driftwood, they're too big :/

Back
Top Bottom