Beta Tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarasein

Aquarium Advice Regular
My girls have a 2 g beta tank and I was thinking up upgrading them to a 10g planted tank. If we do that, can they have more fish? What fish would be able to live with beta?

My betta lives in a 10 gal with some neon tetras and a bunch of shrimp. Neons need an established tank but any similar sized tetra will be OK, just avoid fish with long fins. Also, my betta eats the baby shrimp so if you add shrimp make sure they are of a good size.

My betta lives in a 10 gal with some neon tetras and a bunch of shrimp. Neons need an established tank but any similar sized tetra will be OK, just avoid fish with long fins. Also, my betta eats the baby shrimp so if you add shrimp make sure they are of a good size.
Thanks. That helps so much. You talked about the stuff we were thinking. I got her a 10 g tank today and set it up for an early b-day present. (Well, I said it was for her, but it will really be one more for me to play with.)

I know the feeling. The 30 gallon tank I take care of at work technical belongs to my boss, but everyone knows there my babies. Good luck with your new tank, the Betta is going to love his new space.

Just be watchful when you add fish in with the betta. Depending on his temperment, he could accept or reject them.

My Betta doesn't tolerate fish at all, no matter what. I end up saving them before they die. Snails, and crabs are safe from its wrath :)

Just be watchful when you add fish in with the betta. Depending on his temperment, he could accept or reject them.
Thanks. And I guess there is no way to know before hand. He is the only fish in the house. (Sill in his 2 gal. The new tank is starting a fish less cycle.)

My Betta doesn't tolerate fish at all, no matter what. I end up saving them before they die. Snails, and crabs are safe from its wrath :)
What about shrimp? I was thinking about getting a few, so he can have the babies. My daughter was not happy that he was going to eat them, so not sure she will go for that idea. I really hope Fred will be ok with others. But, if he wants the 10 g to himself, guess he will have it.

I've heard it said that if you add the other occupants first and add the betta last there is a better chance of him accepting the crowd, rather than him thinking the tank is "mine mine aaaaaalllll mine!" I really hope that's true as I plan to add a betta to my tank after the others have lived in it a while.

I think people have had varying success adding shrimp in with their bettas.

I have two female bettas in my 20g tank, but added them at different times. My first betta seemed to only be curious about the ghost shrimp I had in my tank. It was only after I added my second betta that the ghost shrimp population started to drop until I only have 2 left.

That's also why I named them (curious) Georgia and Killer. :brows:

I have my male betta in a 23 gal tank with two BN's, two african dwarf frogs and a few nerites. they get along well but my betta is laid back. The only thing is I think he may be eating my snails! I've found a few empty shells recently and don't know if the snails died first and then either the betta or the BN's ate them or they got eaten first. I guess someone had a good meal!

I've heard it said that if you add the other occupants first and add the betta last there is a better chance of him accepting the crowd, rather than him thinking the tank is "mine mine aaaaaalllll mine!" I really hope that's true as I plan to add a betta to my tank after the others have lived in it a while.
This is true. I add different fish to my tanks with bettas all the time, and no one ever has an issue. If they did, they wouldn't be my pick for community living. But with a territorial issue like that with a betta, or any fish, you can remove the fish with the issue and re-arrange the tank, possibly adding new things as well, and then re-introduce it. I've had success with this method.

Back
Top Bottom