Betta advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reykur

Aquarium Advice Regular
Reykur here, I recently set up a 5 gallon planted tank with the intention of adding RCS, but now I've been thinking of getting a betta instead. My question is about decent tank mates for the betta in a 5 gallon planted tank. I would like algae eaters if possible but I am also looking for any testimony of betta being friendly to other fish in a 5 gallon.

My set up from the tank up:
5 gallon glass
Fluval shrimp and plant stratum
Treated local lava rock, affixed java moss and narrow java ferns, hornwort and planted lilaeopsis (microswords)
Cycled water, comes out of a natural well at practically optimal condition, only needs to be adjusted to room temp and it's safe to add.
50w heater and marina s10 filter, 5400k simulated daylight bulb set for 8 hours a day.

This is the 1 week anniversary of the tank, and thus far, everything is looking phenomenal except the micro swords, which I suspect really require co2. I'm planning on replacing the filter media that came with the filter with pollyfill in one cartridge and fluval biomax in the other, the tank will be cycled again in time for any live arrivals.

I've also seen a single detritus that came in on my java moss, and I've picked out a few hydra that came in on something else, I have fenbendazole on the way, which supposedly kills hydra and planeria which is commonly just misdiagnosed detritus. I'm going to treat the water and have it filtered and cleaned out of any undesirables before any live arrivals.
I would add the pictures of my tank from previous posts but idk how.

Trying to make a good home for my deskmate,
Reykur.

I am no plant expert but I know a lot about bettas. So first I would get the betta and examine him to see if he is aggressive, do that for 2 weeks. If he seems very aggressive then he will most likely kill anything he sees. If not you could some neon tetras maybe.

What are your thoughts on this:
I have 2 options to get a betta, buy one from walmart (i consider this to be like rescuing one) or buy one online. I've never bought live fish online, but I don't have any LFS or pet stores near me so I'm stuck with those options.

My recommendation would be online. Walmart doesn't treat fish properly and purchasing from there supports the continuation of the cruel treatment. Plus by buying online you support hard working breeders who actually love and care for the welfare of bettas :) good luck with your tank and show off some pictures!

Any experience with reliable online shops? I don't have any so I figured I should ask.

Here is the tank as of today, once my tubing for cleaning come in the mail I'm going to clean the tank and attach the java moss to a rock and attach the hornswort to a rock as well.

Attachments

• 0225171327.jpg
    0225171327.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 37
We just bought a Betta from a breeder on eBay. All imported and quality. Will have to look up the name but it's a good place to start along with aquabid.

As for shipping fish...that's how they all get to every store you've ever walked into, so no worries there.

I used to have the same "rescue from Walmart..." type thoughts, but then you realize that they simply make a profit from your purchase which encourages them to buy 2 more to put in cruel conditions for someone else to "rescue".

Definitely look for a reputable breeder and don't fear shopping online :)

I was looking at eBay but I thought it seemed a bit pricey. I could get 2 betta and 5 ghost shrimp from liveaquaria.com for the same price as 1 eBay betta :/ not that I would want 2, but still. I will say that eBay seems to boast the best variety and prices for rare varieties, but in general it seems like a lot of people sell more common varieties for $30 USD plus shipping. Call me old school but I've never spent more than $20 on a betta, and that was a copper dragon in my old community tank in high school. She was quite well mannered with my other gouramis. I'm really liking the idea of being able to put ghost shrimp or new shrimp in with a betta. He might eat them, but from what people say the betta love to hunt, but sometimes live harmoniously with ghost shrimp.

Good thinking about Wal-Mart though, I agree now that you've presented it like that.

Back
Top Bottom