Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

betta and dwarf gourami in 10 gallon?

As stated in an earlier post, I'm pondering putting my dwarf gourami and a betta in a 10 gallon tank. I know these fish are related and sometimes aggressive but I just wanted to know if anyone thought it may work?

Old 06-01-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
In a 10 gallon, I personally would not put the two together. Maybe in a 30 gallon or larger, but the 10 is just way too small for them to feel they have their own spaces.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It may work out with females, since they tend to be calm and some what social, perhaps some one else has experience with this. If one or both are males, then there is almost certianly going to be territory trouble in a 10g.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
I have kept a male dwarf gourami with 2 female bettas with no problem but I would not try it with a male betta.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK. I may put a betta in a 29 that has the more subdued fish.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to megladonsharky Send a message via MSN to megladonsharky Send a message via Yahoo to megladonsharky
the 29 is a better option I have heard that betta and angels arent a great match but way better than a gourami

3-4 gallon with 80gph ... Planted lightly three white clouds ( Birtha Clara and Delila) and some snails (mainly melodys snacks)

9 gallon with 130gph , heated with male betta (Trafalger RIP)Kaden ( a male betta)has moved in, pygmy cory (MaMa) , pitbull pleco(Metal), three preacox rainbows( Annabel, Glitter and Mondo) and various snails...
megladonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
i have a male and female betta with a female gourami and they dont care much
Old 06-02-2005, 09:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those angels are afraid of their shadow so I'm not too worried about the betta. These angels even shy away from the rainbows. The other angel I have is a different story.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mr86mister
yeah, the betta is probably better off in the 29 then the 10, the only problem is...every betta has a totally different personality...so one might go perfect with the gourami and another would not....so its all by chance....good luck!!!

Tags
10 gallon, betta, dwarf, dwarf gourami, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com