Betta and the inability to figure out the filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are MTS in the tank so they clean up all the food and poo that goes between the rocks.

I've always loved bettas. Their personalities are amazing. Every betta I've owned has come from a pet store so I don't know if I would breed Fred and Felica together just because they are both veil tails. From what I've heard veil tail bettas are like the mutts of the betta world. I'm just happy watching them flirt with each other when I get them close to each other's tank. Plus, I have absolutely no clue where I would keep all of the fry, especially once they need separated. That's a lot of tanks and water changes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most betta breeders keep their fry in jars. So if you hear of jarring juveniles that's what that means. Obviously you need a warm room or heating under the jars for that. Some people on here will jump all over anyone who keeps a betta in less than 5g tanks. The serious breeders jar their fish that is fact. You should look up the IBC facebook forum. I think they will let you join even if you are not a member of the IBC. I know some other breeders who have pages for their fishrooms. I went to a show once and bought some fish at the auction afterwards. They are not cheap for the winners. I had a limit of $40 per fish and was outbid several times. On the other hand the ones that don't win you can sometimes walk away with for $1. I wouldn't really recommend importing them unless you are very serious about breeding. It costs a fortune not only for the fish but to pay the trans shipper who is licensed to import the fish and goes to the airports and gets them thru customs and the fish and game etc. There are some breeders who find gems at Pet stores and breed them. And veil tails are not in fashion right now. They were the first widely available tail type here in the US to my understanding. Now it's all about half moon bettas with marble or butterfly colors.

Oh fyi bettas love live worms. Blackworms and white worms are an appropriate size for them. They also relish thawed frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I haven't tried live worms with either betta but they love the blood worms. Felica will zip around her tank for one. Fred just gives you some puppy dog eyes. Right now Fred gets Hikari pellets and Felica gets BioOne pellets. They both get blood worms and peas as treats.

I'm not a huge fan of the half moons (although I do like them more than the crowns) but I see why people like them.

Our neighbor bought her son a betta after we wouldn't let the kid feed Fred. Their fish is a half moon. It's itty bitty and they've had it for months. I know it's so small because they keep it in a tank that's less than a gallon (it's the as seen on TV self cleaning tank) and feed it flakes. I think it's ok to jar during grow out but when you give a fish a forever home, they NEED space.

It's just a different way to do things. Obviously smaller containers require a lot more water changes. Improper temp can also affect growth. And I agree that self cleaning gimmick is bonk.
I don't care for crown tails either. I like half moons or over half moons. My fav was an hm mustard gas. That color combo isn't that fashionable now either.

The neighbor's betta has no heater at all. It's water is usually around 68° (she bought a thermometer after I told her she needed one). They also don't change it enough and they used shells from the beach to line the bottom of the tank so they have brown algea all over the tank. I asked her once how often she changes the water and she told me about once a month if she remembers. ?

I couldn't imagine doing that to either of my bettas. I'm not even sure why she bought the thing other than to spoil her kid. They don't interact with the fish at all! I watched the fish for a week this summer while they went to Florida and cared for it correctly. All they could do was comment on how active he was and how they had never seen him so lively. I told her she should be doing water changes everyday and to talk and play with the fish. I bought the poor thing a betta hammock so it had something to lay on.

Fred and Felica both are very interactive and love being talked to. They approach people they know (hide and glare if they don't know them) and will follow fingers, beg for food, and do flares. I do admit I baby and spoil the bettas but I wanted Fred and Felica became mine after I cured her of ich (surprise purchase by the boyfriend because he felt I spent to much time on Fred, I guess). I couldn't imagine not doing everything in power to give them a better life.

Yeah 68 degrees is a terrible temp for a betta. They like 80 to 82 but can be kept at 78 comfortably. And shells will make the water really hard. They like a little softer water which can be accomplished with Indian Almond Leaves. They love the tannins it gives off also. Mine are pretty friendly as well. I have a melon colored one in a 29g and his only tank mates are my breeding group of albino corydoras aeneus. Needless to say he has no competition for food etc. I float anubias in the tank and he naps in the leaves.

Fred had some anubias for about a year and then something happened to our water quality out of the tap and it melted the 2 original anubias and a new one with in about a week. That's when I had had enough with the tank he was in and we got him the new tank. He loved his anubias. Now that he has his plants back he spends a lot of time in them just laying around watching TV (he loves tv). Felica has some type of grass I bought from PetSmart the other day. I had to replace her sword because she had ich and I was a little terrified that it would hide in the gravel and rocks so I pitched everything in her tank and I pitched everything that was in Fred's old tank. There's no point in keeping stuff like that if there are doubts of questions. Fred's old aquarium had a turtle decoration in it and it leeched something and I could never really get rid of the toxic smell coming from the gravel so I pitched it all. Better safe than sorry.

Fred has learned to stay out of the filter! He is very happy in his new home and has successfully made a giant bubble nest in a corner. I think he may like the new tank. ?

Back
Top Bottom