Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2006, 04:15 AM   #1
App
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Betta behavior

I just got a male Betta about 3 days ago. Since he's been in the tank, he has been flaring as he swims towards the side of the tank. I also noticed that he has been putting bubbles in the corner of the tank. I only have this fish, but plan on getting a female soon. What's he doing?

EDIT: Forgot pics

Old 08-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Totally normal behavior.
The flaring is an aggressive display - he sees his reflection on the glass and thinks it's another betta.
The bubbles he's making is called a bubblenest. It's a good sign that he is healthy.

If you plan to get a female betta, you can't house her with the male permanently. After mating, a male betta becomes very territorial and drives the female away. If the female betta can't flee the area, the male will harass her to death. He is a very devoted parent and raises his fry by himself.

I would suggest reading as much as you can about bettas. This site has a search function located at the top of the page. You can also get loads of info by searching for betta in Google.

Tags
behavior, betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com