Betta behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

App

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a male Betta about 3 days ago. Since he's been in the tank, he has been flaring as he swims towards the side of the tank. I also noticed that he has been putting bubbles in the corner of the tank. I only have this fish, but plan on getting a female soon. What's he doing?

EDIT: Forgot pics

Picture%20001.jpg

Picture%20002.jpg

Totally normal behavior.
The flaring is an aggressive display - he sees his reflection on the glass and thinks it's another betta.
The bubbles he's making is called a bubblenest. It's a good sign that he is healthy.

If you plan to get a female betta, you can't house her with the male permanently. After mating, a male betta becomes very territorial and drives the female away. If the female betta can't flee the area, the male will harass her to death. He is a very devoted parent and raises his fry by himself.

I would suggest reading as much as you can about bettas. This site has a search function located at the top of the page. You can also get loads of info by searching for betta in Google.

Back
Top Bottom