Betta Combination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floop123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking into getting three bettas. Would two females and one male be okay?

Separately, yes, together, oh god no. Depending on the size tank, you could put up dividers and have them all in the same tank but still separated.

Like Toad said, it's not a good idea to keep them together. Bettas have different personalities, but for the most part they're aggressive fish, especially towards each other.

If you insist on having multiple bettas together, you can make a betta sorority, with at least four female bettas, preferably six. The tank needs to be heavily planted/scaped to break up eye contact, and at least 20 gallons. Absolutely NO males.

Or you can check out the wild types, some of them are friendly enough to live together, although they're often more fragile ans expensive. What size tank do you have?

Then nothinh but shrimp or snails. I'm sorry, but since you've asked repeatedly about stocking this size tank over and over, received very good advice, and refuse to listen to any of it, I'm going to extract myself from the conversation. Have a good day.

My betta is in a 2.5 gallon and he's definitely not doing great (I'm looking into an upgrade). 1.5 gallons is much too small for anything but shrimp or snails.

However, if you get a larger tank (such as a 10 gallon) you could get a divider to place in the middle and have a male betta on either side.

It is unfortunate that so many stores and companies continue to encourage the tiny tank as a suitable home for Bettas.

When they are full grown and get stronger from being in a small cup for so long and get their muscles, they are agile and curious fish which enjoy swimming and moving around the tank to search for foods and inspect their habitat.

Imho, the Betta would be best in a tank about 2.5G, probably not smaller than 2G. A 5G would also be a BETTER size. With lots of plants, the 5G my Betta is in is a perfect size. He swims all over the tank and "crawls" around with his fins throught the branches and mosses. And shimmies sideways in between the leaves.

Last edited:
I used to keep Bettas in a tiny bowl.[emoji853] Maybe I'll rescue one and give him a 5 gallon!

It is unfortunate that so many stores and companies continue to encourage the tiny tank as a suitable home for Bettas.

When they are full grown and get stronger from being in a small cup for so long and get their muscles, they are agile and curious fish which enjoy swimming and moving around the tank to search for foods and inspect their habitat.

Imho, the Betta would be best in a tank about 2.5G, probably not smaller than 2G. A 5G would also be a BETTER size. With lots of plants, the 5G my Betta is in is a perfect size. He swims all over the tank and "crawls" around with his fins throught the branches and mosses. And shimmies sideways in between the leaves.
In my recent search for a betta, I saw one store with a sign that said .5 quart for minimum tank size. That's two cups. I asked an employee about it. She said, "That's horrible, why do we have that sign?"

My new boy in the ten gallon with the frogs is constantly patrolling and exploring.

Bettas survive in small spaces, but they thrive when they have room. And they're far more enjoyable when they can swim and you can see their personalities.

What's the maximum size bettas grow to?

Depends on the breed. Kings can get fairly large. My son's is full grown, I'm pretty sure, and he's about the size of my thumb + fins. (The fins are all show.) So, uh, a woman's thumb.

The bettas in pet stores are such mistreated animals! Do they even clean that water?!

Back
Top Bottom