betta community help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjacks

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20g high with 4 cories & 2 otos.. my hubby wants to try our hand at a female betta community with like 3 female bettas .. i know it can b done but i have never done it and would like some input from the ones that have ..anything is helpful would luv to here yalls stories whether successful or not so i have a good idea whats in store.. thanks in advance

I've never actually tried it but I heard that females do fine in communities as long as there is no other fish in the tank with the same color combinations as them and no fish with like tails or fins like them or they might see them as a threat.

Also avoid fish that nip if u add betas cause the beta might snap at anytime . Goodluck! Hope this helped.

I have had nothing but success mixing bettas with corys and otos. When attempting a female betta sorority you wont be able to get away with just three. At least 5 in at least 15 gallons of water is necessary. 7+ in a 20L is preferable.

I have had 3 bettas before 2 males n 1 female just not in the same tank.. i read that females can b added together in tanks but i think its more of a 50/50 thing.. of course i would want to add different colored females like 1 blue , 1 red , n mayb 1 white ..

Like I said your chances for success will be greatly diminished with only three of them. Get at least five of them at the same time. Put them in their cups all next to each other for a few hours and watch them. You will need to try to determine the order of least aggressive to most aggressive. Once you have figured out the order add the least aggressive fish to the tank first and then add each other fish in order about 25 minutes apart. There will always be a chance that things will take a turn somewhere unexpectedly down the road. Another way to minimize this chance is to get them all around the same size from the same store. This way they will more likely be actual sisters.

Yea i was gonna look at our local petsmart but i think they might b in those cups to long to try puttin them together.. thought about orderin them online.. i could get 5 i just thought with 3 if it didnt work i have a spare 10g i could separate for 2.. would it b ok to mix dragon scale n halfmoon?

Different fin types are fine to mix. As said, to increase chances have at least 5 (I had success at 6). Having sisters from the same spawn greatly increases chances of them all getting along. They need to be added all at once so one doesn't pick a territory before the others arrive.

Different fin types are fine to mix. As said, to increase chances have at least 5 (I had success at 6). Having sisters from the same spawn greatly increases chances of them all getting along. They need to be added all at once so one doesn't pick a territory before the others arrive.

I have been lookin tryin to fine younger bettas n so far havent been successful.. i think i would rather play it safer n try to get from the same batch if possible .. do u have any suggestions on where i can find them

Well thought i would update.. after gettin others experience n weighin the odds of it actually workin i talked the hubby into not doing a sorority as beautiful n entertaining as it would be i dont wanna be the cause of any of them dying or have to have them separated in small 1g tanks around the house i dont have the time or room for that..plus i think 5g minium is best for them so i wouldnt feel as i was takin care of them to the best of my ability.

Well thought i would update.. after gettin others experience n weighin the odds of it actually workin i talked the hubby into not doing a sorority as beautiful n entertaining as it would be i dont wanna be the cause of any of them dying or have to have them separated in small 1g tanks around the house i dont have the time or room for that..plus i think 5g minium is best for them so i wouldnt feel as i was takin care of them to the best of my ability.

A very well thought-out solution. Kudos to you! (y)

It was a hard decision too.. i jated to see the look on my hubbys face when i once again told him he couldnt have what he wanted for our tanks.. but with odds of 1 out of 5 workin its just not a risk im willing to take.. after i explained y he was happier.. i think we r gonna look into gettin some rcs or mayb some blue pearl shrimp.. mayb a betta.. try to add atleast 2 more otos n 2 more cories get a bigger filter.. i would like a nerite snail. But thats alot of algae eaters so need to just research n see whats best for all involved

Edit : we decided on a sunset honey gourami

Back
Top Bottom