Betta fish tank setup tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allobetta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After a long while, I've decided to start a new betta fish tank. Currently I have a 10 gallon tank with hood and lights, 10 gal filter, and a 10 gal air pump. I also have some more supplies such as Prime water conditioner and bacterial/fungal infection treatment.
A 10 gallon is enough for a betta, right?
I believe the general consensus is that 5 is the minimum. I should also be able to fit two Nerite snails in there along with driftwood and Amazon sword plants.
What other plants could be recommended?
As for food, what specific brands of fish food do you think would work for bettas, besides bloodworms, brine shrimp and tubiflex worms (or exclusively those)?
If you could think of any more tips, please share some : )

A 10 gallon would make an excellent home for a betta.

Some other easy to care for plants are java ferns, java moss, anubias, crypts, hornwort, anarcharis, or water wisteria.

For food I would go with a good quality pellet and give the foods you suggested as occasional treats. Brands like omega one and new life spectrum make great pellet foods.

Yes a 10 gallon is perfect. Glad you aren't another trying to put it in a 2 gallon bowl :). I feed my bettas brine and bloodworms every few days and feed flake food everyday. For plants and decor you are going to want softer leaved plants and decor that doesn't have sharp edges. Betta fins are very thin and tear easily. Bettas also don't usually like really bright light so having some floating plants will help. You could do anubias Nana petite, any type of myrio, rotala rotundifolia, guppy grass, hornwort, dwarf hairgrass, just to name a few. The guppy grass and hornwort could be your floating plants or you could do real floaters like duckweed, salvinia minima, dwarf water lettuce, frogbit, red root floaters, or my personally favorite azolla. Some of these will depend on what lighting you have. Can you give more info on the light? Is it led, flourecent, cfl?what wattage is it? What brand if you know? Do know that amazon sword can grow quite large so don't be surprised if it just about fills your tank.You will also need a heater since bettas prefer temps in the high 70's low 80's.

Last edited:
I like anubias in betta tanks. They will sometimes use the ones with bigger leaves as a hammock.

Also the filter may need to be baffled especially if your betta is one with long flowing fins. A lot of people like sponge filters for them.

I like anubias in betta tanks. They will sometimes use the ones with bigger leaves as a hammock.

Also the filter may need to be baffled especially if your betta is one with long flowing fins. A lot of people like sponge filters for them.

Don't worry, it is a sponge filter. A Marina Slim s15 filter to be precise, bought the Marina kit off of Amazon.

Yes a 10 gallon is perfect. Glad you aren't another trying to put it in a 2 gallon bowl :). I feed my bettas brine and bloodworms every few days and feed flake food everyday. For plants and decor you are going to want softer leaved plants and decor that doesn't have sharp edges. Betta fins are very thin and tear easily. Bettas also don't usually like really bright light so having some floating plants will help. You could do anubias Nana petite, any type of myrio, rotala rotundifolia, guppy grass, hornwort, dwarf hairgrass, just to name a few. The guppy grass and hornwort could be your floating plants or you could do real floaters like duckweed, salvinia minima, dwarf water lettuce, frogbit, red root floaters, or my personally favorite azolla. Some of these will depend on what lighting you have. Can you give more info on the light? Is it led, flourecent, cfl?what wattage is it? What brand if you know? Do know that amazon sword can grow quite large so don't be surprised if it just about fills your tank.You will also need a heater since bettas prefer temps in the high 70's low 80's.
So the Amazon sword counts as soft leaved, right? Oh, and all I know about my lights is that they're Marina LED lights, I bought the kit from here https://www.amazon.com/Marina-LED-Aquarium-Kit-gallon/dp/B01M70ZQ14
Do you recommend any specific brands of heater? There are so many out there and some have a history of exploding.
Many thanks!

Sorry for the late reply - I replied with a message with a link but it didn't send, probably because I'm a new member, so sorry if you get a duplicate message later on. Anyway, do Amazon swords count as soft leaved? And to answer your question, the lights are LED Marina brand (don't know the wattage, though). I bought the Marina kit off of Amazon. Also, what brand of heater do you recommend? Some do have a history of exploding.

Any heater will do...i've had cheaper Aqueons, more expensive Eheims that always had to be calibrated and were always off a few degrees compared to what they were set for and i also had some kind of expensive titanium heater that worked well, but not any better than my cheap Aqueon. So, that being said, i've been keeping fish on and off for 30 plus years and never had a heater explode. I personally think it is extrememy rare, especially if you replace your heater every few years. That being said, I like the Aqueon heaters....not too expensive, no calibration needed, no bells and whistles that can easily fail and heres the most important one....simple to set and simple to adjust. Just my 2 cents....i'm sure there are other heaters that work well too. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom