betta for cycling ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is it ok to use a betta for cycling? these things can live in just about anything so they must make a pretty good fish for cycling. Any reason why I wouldnt want to use them for it? I'd like to have one in the tank even when the cycle is done, so its not a cycle and flush thing.

as far as i know, it's fine, but it'll take a long time. bettas don't make that much waste, so if you're planning on cycling a 50gal tank with just a betta.... you're gonna need a lot of patience.

i cycled my 3gal tank with a betta, and i've also cycled tanks with feeder fish (who then were fed to my boyfriend's oscar)

it's a 25 gallon tank. would something like a betta and a zebra danio be ok together?

Have you considered fishless cycling? It's easy to dose ammonia into the tank every day and then test for an ammonia spike and then a nitrite spike. Read about it here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15 It talks about fishless cycling for SW tanks but it applies the same to FW tanks.

Be kind to your fish. :) Remember, even if you use a hearty fish for cycling, the ammonia and nitrite still burn their gills. 8O

I would do exactly as coolchinchila says and try a fishless cycle. You'll be able to let the ammonia spike without worrying about daily water changes to ease the fish's discomfort.

Cycling with a betta is not a good idea - as already stated, the betta won't make enough waste and ammonia to cycle a 25 gallon tank. I have seen bettas with ammonia burns on their gills, and if they are stressed, in a high ammonia tank, they are prone to illness such as finrot.

A betta and danio would probably not make good tankmates. Danios are fast swimmers and would most likely nip a slow fish like a betta.

Back
Top Bottom