Betta in a Community Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shark Bait

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I've been asked this question many of times, now IMO I don't think it's the best idea. I have seen bettas get the snot beat out of them and the other way around. So what do you think?

They can be kept in a community tank, it just depends on what fish you plan to keep it with.

I have mine in with neon tetras, guppies, a couple of balloon-belly mollies and a couple of danios...they are all getting along famously! :D

it depends on the betta's personality too. I had almost the same exact setup like applechick, + some platies.. and my betta went on a nipping/killing spree. I lost 2 guppies and a platy in 2 days.

As far a bettas are concerned, I say try it but keep a CLOSE watch. All fish are different and have different personalities - even more so with bettas.

I put my betta in the main tank worrying that he would pick on the other fish. Luckily he did not. Unluckily the other fish picked on him. So I took him out.

Bettas are pigs. I found that when I left my betta in my community tank he ate all the food and got fat. Other than that he got along very well with the other fish, even the bumblebee gobies. I gave him his own 2.5 gallon anyway.

I have a betta who lived with a molly for a while. They got along great for a few weeks, until the molly realized that she could kick the betta's butt, and he was too chicken to do anything about it. He's lived well with neons though, and he currently lives with a pygmy cory, who he could eat in one bite if he wanted to, but who he ignores. It depends on the betta himself, as well as the other members of the community. Make sure that there are plenty of hiding spaces in your tank, make sure that you add the betta last, once everyone else has their territory staked out, make sure (this is very, very important) that you have a contingency plan in case you need to remove your betta in a hurry (even if its just a jar for a couple days) and make sure that you keep a careful eye on the tank. This being said, a betta can make a lovely addition to a community tank, and contrary to the advice of my lps, bettas love having a bigger tank so they have more room to swim around.

0X I come in peace

Bettas in comunity tanks

It depends on your fish. I have a male betta in a 55 gallon tank with a irredescent shark, ottos, kuhli loaches, neon tetras, glowlight tetras, a borneo hillstream loach and 3 dwarf gourami. It's not suppose to work but it does. Except for some flaring I haven't had a problem and he'll have been in there a year in August. Be prepared to move him is all I recommend otherwise try it. They make a beautiful display when they have room to move around.

Back
Top Bottom