Betta Noob Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allinthegame83

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello

I've finally decided on what Im going to stock my tank with, a betta.

Just a few questions....

• any particular substrate? I'd like to use sand.
  • a lot of betta tanks ive seen pics of seem quite sparsley decorated. Any reasoning behind this? I was planning on several plants and a stones.
  • any food they're particulary partial too?
Cheers

Chris

:thanks:

How big is the tank? And a special substrate is not needed unless you are doing live plants. Live plants can survive in sand but you would need the propper light to make them grow. As for food, if you really want to bring out the colors of your betta, feed them a variety of foods such as freeze dried bloodworms, betta pellets ect.

Your tank is really nice!! Both of my guys love decorations and places for them to explore!! I have mine moderately planted as one of mine prefers to rest in the plants. I feed a variety diet with brine shrimp, bloodworms, and flakes. They are really great fish with big personalities:)

hcourts said:
Your tank is really nice!! Both of my guys love decorations and places for them to explore!! I have mine moderately planted as one of mine prefers to rest in the plants. I feed a variety diet with brine shrimp, bloodworms, and flakes. They are really great fish with big personalities:)

Thanks :) First tropical tank, in really pleased with how it's shaping up.

Quick question, I need to tie my java fern to a rock, what should I use? Concerned about using the wrong thing and affecting the water.

I used fishing line. It was easy to use and once it attached I was able to cut it with small scissors.

hcourts said:
I used fishing line. It was easy to use and once it attached I was able to cut it with small scissors.

Will probably use that then. Someone else suggested sewing cotton but I was dubious about that due to dyes leaking.

I think it is ok if he doesn't have any dues or anything in it and I think it dissolves over time but I wanted to know when I removed mine;) it's a crazy OCD thing I have.

You got a nice tank there. I think you could put a betta with some other fish in there

Neon tetras can go quite well but they are delicate fish! Adds a touch more colour and activity without detracting from the show fish!

Be careful....many tetras and danios are active fish and need more room to swim. Plus Bettas generally do better on their own; it might be a good idea to get the betta and see what its personality is before you add anything else. Is the tank cycled?

Bettas like things to explore so your tank is definitely interesting! Just make sure there aren't any sharp edges to plants (if fake) and rocks that bettas fins can get ripped up on.

Also they don't like a lot of current.....not sure what filter you have but just watch the betta; if he tends to hide in a corner then the filter might be too strong and if so you can baffle it somehow to reduce the flow. If there's an intake pipe be sure the betta isn't getting stuck to it; if so you can cover it with a filter sponge pad to reduce the suction.

librarygirl said:
Be careful....many tetras and danios are active fish and need more room to swim. Plus Bettas generally do better on their own; it might be a good idea to get the betta and see what its personality is before you add anything else. Is the tank cycled?

Bettas like things to explore so your tank is definitely interesting! Just make sure there aren't any sharp edges to plants (if fake) and rocks that bettas fins can get ripped up on.

Also they don't like a lot of current.....not sure what filter you have but just watch the betta; if he tends to hide in a corner then the filter might be too strong and if so you can baffle it somehow to reduce the flow. If there's an intake pipe be sure the betta isn't getting stuck to it; if so you can cover it with a filter sponge pad to reduce the suction.

Tank is cycling at the moment.

The Betta is going to have the tank all to himself (well maybe a snail to keep him company). Originally wanted tetras but the tank isn't large enough for them.

I have a feeling the current may be slightly on the strong side, I'll see how he behaves.

Thanks for the advice :)

I used a cut portion of a 20oz pop bottle tapped to my out take to slow the flow in my boys tank. It has worked great

hcourts said:
I used a cut portion of a 20oz pop bottle tapped to my out take to slow the flow in my boys tank. It has worked great

I used a blue plastic cup. Cut off the bottom and popped it over the filter. Made quite the difference!

Back
Top Bottom