Betta Question ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been thinking about getting a Betta.
Does anyone have any experience with the below tank? 1 gallon, come with a filter.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435865940.295755.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

IMO.. Absolutely no less than 2.5g, preferably 5+. Many people don't realize just how active Bettas can be when given a decent sized home with a heater AND filter.

They like temperatures around 80 degrees.

Caleb

My bf has the 2.5 gal with a filter. It works okay. I don't like how the filter is set up imo. Also, with such a small tank the water flow from the filter could bother them. I hated my little 1 gal. And so did my Betta. He is so much happier now that he has a 5 gal all to himself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My opinion on that 1g minibow is that it is a waste of money. The filter is junky, and takes up too much space. Check out the 2.5g mini bow, or a 5g.
I prefer bettas in more space than a 1g. But, people have varying opinions on that. Something to be aware of though is that you do need to watch the water parameters and the temperature. The smaller the tank, the more frequently you will need to change out water. That little 1g mini bow still will need way more water changes performed on it than a 2.5g will. Probably every few days.

I recommend a 5 gallon for a betta. Or you can get a 10 gallon set up for around $50 if you shop smart.

Definitely get at least 5g I got tricked with buying a bowl not worth it! U can check out my post £15 for fishbowl £25 for 80L tank with filter much more lively fish and they appear happier (2) fancy goldfish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would skip that 1 Gallon.

I have used those in the 5G and 2.5G. For most Bettas they get beautiful long fins and they really do swim quite a lot.

My 2.5G had a divider for 2 fish, though when they were little 1 jumped over the fence and scared the heck out of the other one found luckily hiding under a rock but well.

So don't count on any dividers to keep your fish safe if they come with it.

The 2.5G was barely big enough for the Placket male I got so I changed it into a shrimp and Ramshorn snail tank.

I hear Petco is having a dollar per gallon sale now. Maybe that would include a 5 gallon.

Otherwise, my filter lasted a couple years, thinking the 5G Aqueon would be perfect for a Betta. The flowing tails get really long and they need plenty of room to turn with out catching it on something.

Great though that you are considering a filter!!! A little heater is great if you use AC in summer or make sure to keep up temp in winter too. A win win situation there.

I absolutely love Bettas, and we have three. Two are in 5g tanks, the other in a 10g tank. I believe they should not be in anything less than a 5g tank, although some 3 and 4g tanks may be ok.

They love to use all the space they can get, they're personable, and I just adore them.... :D

I absolutely love Bettas, and we have three. Two are in 5g tanks, the other in a 10g tank. I believe they should not be in anything less than a 5g tank, although some 3 and 4g tanks may be ok.

They love to use all the space they can get, they're personable, and I just adore them.... :D

I've seen some 2.5 gallon tanks and 3-5 mini bows that had enough footprint for bettas. As long as water changes are kept up I don't see a problem with anything 2.5 and up. Honestly anyone that rescues them from those cups and doesn't put them in a 1/2 gallon bowl is alright by me. Unfortunately it feeds the sale of them in that manner but the fact is once they're placed in that cup any method of getting it out is a service to that fish.

I've seen some 2.5 gallon tanks and 3-5 mini bows that had enough footprint for bettas. As long as water changes are kept up I don't see a problem with anything 2.5 and up. Honestly anyone that rescues them from those cups and doesn't put them in a 1/2 gallon bowl is alright by me. Unfortunately it feeds the sale of them in that manner but the fact is once they're placed in that cup any method of getting it out is a service to that fish.

Very true :)

Back
Top Bottom