Betta Sorority?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlNamedJamie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29g tank, and I've been thinking about what I'll be using it before. I'm playing with the idea of possible doing a betta sorority. I'm interested in either people's experiences with them.
Also, what are some tank mates for the bettas?

Female betta sororities are very tricky at times, And recommended for experienced hobbyist. If your a beginner, as that's what this forum is for, then I would recommend a slower approach to the hobby. Maybe, guppies or Platys. Mollies, or swordtails! Goldfish could be good options too! Welcome to the hobby!

AND remember to do lots and lots of research before you pick ANY fish! ??

Imo a goldfish wouldn't be the best or most interesting addition to a tank of that size, as you could only have 1. I would however recommend any small community schooling fish as long as they are small. Or if you were looking for a more "centerpiece" fish gouramis have very interesting behavior. They grab various debris around the tank and stick it together at the surface to form a nest, kept in pairs for the best results.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Gouramis are so what similar in behavior to betas. I have both. In separate tanks obviously lol.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sororities are definitely kind of a finicky setup. To make it work you need a lot of plants and/or decor for hiding spots. Also, you need a back up plan. Some bettas are not good for sororities because they are too dominant or too submissive so mixing and matching may be necessary which means you need other tanks to put sorority rejects in. If you can provide that, then you can certainly go ahead and try one. The success rate with them is not exceptional though for the average hobbiest.

I wouldn't suggest making it a betta tank because there are not many options as far as tank mates go (unless you want to understock which is cool too). I would stick to tropical, non aggressive fish. Though, I agree with Alexwm125 to get Gouramis because they are beautiful fish and are very personable. P.S. I love bettas too AND my name is Jamie. lol just thought I'd point that out.

I like neons. Those are nice too. They school together And if you add an air stone they play in it :p ive had awesome luck with barbs and tetras together and they all school together.

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

*Most* bettas do fine in community tanks. Out of my 7 bettas, only one didn't do well in community. You could get one male or one female betta along with a bunch of peaceful community fish if you were set on a betta. Just avoid gouramis, paradisefish, and anything that might nip at the betta's fins like tiger barbs, neons. The right betta makes a great centerpiece fish.

I think neons are great in a highly planted 29. That's what I have my neons in and I love it.

Shep

You can do a sorority, it just needs to be heavily planted with lots of hiding places. Get similar sized girls, and try to get more peaceful ones. If you have a LFS that keep female bettas in the same tank (some do), that would be ideal. The bettas would have already lived together and the success rate is higher. It's not easy, but possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom