Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question Betta sorority stocking question?

My sister-in-law has resolved to give me her 20g high tank that she is no longer using. I was thinking of starting a betta sorority! My question is, although I've been doing my research (planning on doing a fishless cycle and adding the females all at once) I'm not sure how many fish I can fit in a 20g high aquarium. I know that it is recommended to have an odd number of female betta. I was planning to get at least 7 females. What other tank mates can I safely include and how many fish can a 20g high aquarium hold? I want to use sand as a substrate so I was thinking of getting fish that sift sand in addition to the females. Any recommendations as far as stocking? I am not big on snails or shrimp.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't have experience with sororities but in my experience cory cats get along with every body. Or Maybe kuhli loaches? Both would do some sand stirring.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you really want a betta sorority, then you'd need to limit it to female bettas. Otherwise, it's a freshwater community tropical tank.

And with female bettas, you'll need lots of plants (silk if you're not going with live) to be able to carve up the tank and give the more docile females some hiding places. In a 20 gallon high, you'd want some very tall plants. If you are planning on live plants, then some floating stems would also help with cover for your more timid females.

In adding more fish, I'd stick with fish who are primarily bottom dwellers. Your bettas are going to occupy mid and upper levels of the water.

Tags
betta, betta sorority, question, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com