Betta sorority? yes or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimiheart

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had a female crowntail before that I kept in with my mollies, and it was a pain to feed her because the mollies were so aggressive with their eating. I ended up rehoming her.

One of my children wants female veiltails, and has been doing their own research, and is thinking of a sorority. I'm hearing mixed reviews on them. I'm throwing an extra sponge filter into my 40 gallon right now to get media on it. And we can get a tank at the dollar per gallon sale. (20 long? 10?) I'm not as familiar with betta sororities as I am with livebearers.

As long as you have five females, you should be fine

It really just depends on the individual personalities. I think a 20g long would be fine if it had plenty of hides and plant cover.

I've read the most successful ones all the female come from the same fry, but really it just depends on the ladies introduced. I'd have a back up plan in case any are too aggressive though. Good luck!

It really just depends on the individual personalities. I think a 20g long would be fine if it had plenty of hides and plant cover.

I've read the most successful ones all the female come from the same fry, but really it just depends on the ladies introduced. I'd have a back up plan in case any are too aggressive though. Good luck!

I don't know if we can get them from the same spawn, but I'm going to try and get them as babies. My child doesn't want to deal with real plants (they know my struggles, I guess) so we're getting some more silk plants and finding good hidey holes decorations. You know they're serious when they clean their desks before school has started.

But as of right now, the gravel and a few decorations are in the tank and we're starting a cycle with the main filter still working in my big tank.

I don't know if we can get them from the same spawn, but I'm going to try and get them as babies. My child doesn't want to deal with real plants (they know my struggles, I guess) so we're getting some more silk plants and finding good hidey holes decorations. You know they're serious when they clean their desks before school has started.

But as of right now, the gravel and a few decorations are in the tank and we're starting a cycle with the main filter still working in my big tank.
Be careful getting them as babies. I think its the best way for a successful sorority, but many males are sold as females and its hard to tell until they get older. I think the key (besides their individual personalities) is lots of cover and hides and adding them all at the same time to help establish territory as painlessly as possible.

Please update us. I'm so excited for you! How fun ❤

Back
Top Bottom