Betta stock help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skystag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i'm planning on getting a 10 gallon and a betta, preferably not a plakat. i was wondering what fish i could stock with the betta? i like having multiple fish in one tank and i know bettas are a toughie. i was originally planning on stocking neon tetra with the betta, but i've heard they an get nippy (since the long tailed betta won't be able to catch them, he won really be the problem here)
i'm wondering if going with the tetra is a good idea (i've fallen in love with them) or if i should choose another fish? i rather have something colorful than dull colored. also, is there any way to tell a betta's temperament at the store?

you should never keep 1 neon tetra and a minimum of 6 would be more appropriate. I have seen a 10G with White Cloud Mountain Minnows in it and it was a very pretty tank. You would just need to leave the water somewhat cooler if that's the case around 76 degrees F because WCM are cooler water fish

If you're willing to go for non fish but other tank buddies, ADF or ghost shrimp could be a good mix

i was planning on getting a school of 8, no worries. i had actually never heard of white cloud mountain minnows, but they're really pretty! i'll keep them in mind if the neon tetra don't work out.

wouldn't put neons with Betta fish, as neons nip fins, so if you put neons with your betta, you risk your betta fish's tail being nipped.

Back
Top Bottom