Betta tank - cycled and ready for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimi9000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

First time poster here. I found this site while researching betta care for my 8 year old and we ended up doing a fishless cycle using these instructions:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

I *think* the tank is cycled but wanted to make sure we did everything correctly. My daughter has been very patient waiting to get a betta (a b-day gift) and the last thing I want is for the fish to go belly up in the first few days!

Our gear:

Top Fin 5.5 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit - PetSmart
Top Fin betta water conditioner
gravel, 1 moss ball, 1 anubias plant, 2 ornaments
Eheim Jager 50w heater

The cycle:
2/3/13: started cycling using ammonia from Ace
2/26/13: ammonia readings started zeroing out after 24 hrs
3/7/13: white fuzz on ornaments (think I added too much ground up fish food). PH dropping. Did pwc.
3/11/13: first time nitrites were at zero, 24 hrs after adding ammonia. Nitrates: 80ppm. Dosed ammonia to 4ppm.
3/12/13: Ammonia and nitrites 0 after 24 hrs. Nitrates: 40-80ppm. Did large wc (4 gallons). Dosed ammonia to 1ppm.
3/13/13: Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates all at 0. PH: 7.2.

OK to purchase the betta now or should I continue to dose the tank for a couple more days (to 4ppm?) and watch the levels?

For whatever reason, I can't get the heater to keep the water below 80 degrees. It's set at 74 now but the water is at 80 (unless my thermometer strip is inaccurate). But 80 degrees is fine for a betta fish, correct?

Think that's about it for now.

Any advice is much appreciated! Already this forum has been so helpful. I was about to put a fish into our tank without doing ANY cycling -- until I found this site. Thank goodness I did!

Thanks for your reply!

Yes - forgot to mention that nitrites did rise and fall. Started getting nitrite readings on 2/9/13. They were off the charts for a few weeks, finally zeroing out on 3/9/13.

Sounds pretty good to me, but to be on the safe side I would dose ammonia for a couple more days, then add a betta! :)

Thanks, Scottyhorse and librarygirl!

One follow up question: yesterday I dosed the ammonia up to 4ppm and 24 hrs later, both ammonia and nitrites were 0.

But nitrates were back up at 40-80ppm. Why are they so high -- should I be dosing the ammonia only to 1ppm?

Only water changes get rid of nitrates, correct?

I'm not sure what to do now. Any advice is appreciated...

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom