Betta tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mixer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20G tank all cycled up and I have a Betta in a bowl, had him for about a year, and a fairly new African water frog in another bowl. I wanted to add both of these and a few more fish to the 20G.

My question is what fish make the best mates of these 2?

I was thinking about a couple of gourami, maybe a few glofish.

Definitely not gouriamis and the glo fish can get nippy. I would try something more docile. Maybe some tetras or cory cats.

I use to have a 10g Betta tank with :
1- white Betta
6- neon tetras
2- corys
3 frogs

Some time mollies and platys are good tank mates as long as they are in the tank first ..

Id try ghost shrimp first. They're much less expensive and u never know how ur betta will react

You could try and put them together, but separate if need. Really, bettas do best solitary because of their aggressive nature. But, I guess it depends on the bettas personality; Some can go in communities, some cant.

By 'African water frog', do you mean African dwarf frog (I am assuming so since ACF's are not sold in bowls)? If so, just a heads up, you are probably going to have to hand feed the African Dwarf Frog (Slow eater. Will not be able to compete for food).

Gouramis will possibly be a problem with a betta, I would not advise putting them together. Like said above, the glofish would be too nippy for the betta (Out of the question).

If you want to start off with shrimp, I would recommend starting with ghosties (Ghost shrimp). Depending on the bettas personality, the shrimp has a 50/50 chance of living (You dont want to start off with an pricey shrimp and in the end be eaten ;) ). If you betta does good with the ghosties, then you can consider adding Red cherry shrimp or amano shrimp.

Some other good tank-mates for bettas are Corydora catfish and otocinclus cat- sucker cat (Needs established aquarium).

Back
Top Bottom