Betta tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadSoyBeans

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can you have any tank mates for a beta in a 5.5 gallon, if this means anything my betta is nice and he isnt really agressive. Ive kept him with corys (in a larger tank)and he wasnt agressive at all. Should i try tank mates or just leave him alone?

Heya Beans!

How old is the Betta? Often in the rising hormonal awakening after 6 months to about 1+ year of age anything goes. Each is of course his own personality. After the age of being young and sassy, strong and territorial, they can start to mellow.

Sometimes they just go towards things but don't really kill anything. I'd make sure it had places to rest in the plants near the top of the tank if you get any bottom additions like a few dwarf cories say. And have soemwhere for them to hide. BUT I have seen a Betta turn sideways to the substrate and hunt baby fish (changed tanks and there were a few baby Guppies I didn't see) or shrimp into cracks and crevices.

Just be prepared to not put anything very costly or your other favorite fish in with him as one morning it might be shredded up /or laying dead in the bottom of the tank.

More than once a Betta keeper has had all love and cuddles for months and often to the yearish point, only to find a mayhem event of destruction, obliteration and death...

Heya Beans!

How old is the Betta? Often in the rising hormonal awakening after 6 months to about 1+ year of age anything goes. Each is of course his own personality. After the age of being young and sassy, strong and territorial, they can start to mellow.

Sometimes they just go towards things but don't really kill anything. I'd make sure it had places to rest in the plants near the top of the tank if you get any bottom additions like a few dwarf cories say. And have soemwhere for them to hide. BUT I have seen a Betta turn sideways to the substrate and hunt baby fish (changed tanks and there were a few baby Guppies I didn't see) or shrimp into cracks and crevices.

Just be prepared to not put anything very costly or your other favorite fish in with him as one morning it might be shredded up /or laying dead in the bottom of the tank.

More than once a Betta keeper has had all love and cuddles for months and often to the yearish point, only to find a mayhem event of destruction, obliteration and death...
Im not 100% sure how old he is but ive kept hin for 3 weeks so far, i put 3 nerite snails with him yester day and all but 1 have opened up.

Post a pic when you have time.

Nerites are nice just make sure to add a little chunk of algae wafer or veggie based food from time to time, as they are grazers they may not get enough food from a new tank. I only clean the front of my tank glass and only if necessary, so the snails have their option to eat the mysterious biofilm off of it.

Post a pic when you have time.

Nerites are nice just make sure to add a little chunk of algae wafer or veggie based food from time to time, as they are grazers they may not get enough food from a new tank. I only clean the front of my tank glass and only if necessary, so the snails have their option to eat the mysterious biofilm off of it.
Yeah i just bought extra algea wafers for them. My mystery snails in my 10g dont always get the algea wafers cause my kuhli loaches get them first(dont worry im getting a bigger tank and new buddies for the kuhlis). Im not home right now so ill send pictures soon.

Here is the 5.5g tank

1504409798111.jpg

There are 3 nerites but i can only find 2

1504409846766.jpg
1504409873882.jpg

And my betta, his name is Elon (sorry for the bad quality, he moves too quick for pictures)

Thanks, you cant really see it but there are 2 bright blue strips on his fin and there is a bunch of small blue dots on his body

Back
Top Bottom