Betta tank (maybe..)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about getting a betta. I have two gallon tank i could use, but it isn't very pretty (it's kinda cheap). Could I have a betta in a 1 gal? Or is 2 gal the right size?

2 gallons will be better...but get a 5 gallon if you can. Or even better a 10 gal.
Cycling doesn't work in a tank smaller than 5 gallons.

10 gal is like $10 at Walmart. Don't forget to get a heater and filter!

Cycling doesn't work in a tank smaller than 5 gallons.

What is your reasoning for this statement?

I would go with a larger tank. 2.5g or larger preferrably. At that size they cost around the same as a bowl tbh and in my area a 2.5g tank is cheaper than the bettas.

I keep my betta in a heavily planted 1 gallon bowl and he is way happier now than when I had him in a 5 gallon tank with other fish. As long as the tank is heated he will be happy. Add a filter or if you don't want to, add a ton of live plants and change 15% water 1-2x a week. I find bettas like calm water instead of a tank with a filter on it. The filter current, even on gentle, really pissed off my betta. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The larger the tank, the more stable it is. I try to give my Bettas at least 2.5-3g tanks. My last Betta had a 10g. The filter was kept at one end and he enjoyed playing in the current.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420695487.657338.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420695507.911369.jpg

For small tanks 5g or under the Azoo Palm Filter is great. It has adjustable flow. http://www.amazon.com/AZOO-AZ13097-Mignon-Filter-60/dp/B005VEWCMO

5g or over are much easier to heat as well.

Could I have a beta and a frog (african dwarf probably, i don't know what else I'd get) in a 2gal?

No, I wouldn't suggest that. The water would get dirty too fast and both would suffer.

Minimum tank size for the frog is usually 10 gallons AFAIK. They're messy eaters.

The only thing I put into 2.5g( with a filter ) with my Betta was three ghost shrimp.

If you give your Betta room, they can learn tricks from you or you can buy a kit like this one. http://youtu.be/IfQK_cDHGwA if you look up Betta tricks you'll find a lot of stuff.

Mine would jump to eat food off my finger, he would come over to me any time I got near the tank of course, and he also would circle around my finger in the tank

Teaching your Betta to jump can be hazardous, so you want to be very careful about doing that. they're jumpers naturally anyway. If you teach him to jump, get a tank with a lid.

Back
Top Bottom