Betta tank needs heater or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking about getting a 2-2.5 gal tank for a betta and an african dwarf frog. They have similar heating requirements and I have found mixed results from searching the web about a heater for a betta. Is it necessary?
:thanks:

Yes, I would advise using a heater, bettas are tropical and do best in an environment that's at least 76 degrees. I personally keep mine at 78. In addition, the use of a heater keeps the temperature stable. Bettas are hardy fish but temperature fluctuations stress them just like any fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay, thank you. I was also wondering about betta beds, do betas need a specific place to sleep or would they be fine with a live plant and a decoration or two?

They don't need a specific place, live or silk plants do just fine. Every Betta is different...I've had some that liked to lounge around on plants, and others that would cram themselves in the strangest places in the tank. My current male likes to sleep upside down in between the leaves of my Java fern. Its scared me a time or two!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A betta and a frog in that small a tank isn't a great idea. It probably holds just over a gallon of actual water.

I've kept a betta alone in a 2.5 gallon for a year. even with a ton of plants, a weekly 50% water change barely kept it healthy.

Try just a betta, weekly water changes, and yes a heater. As mentioned above, temperature stability is important.

Another issue with the small tank: the tiny heaters made for that size don't keep temperature stable, they just keep it 2 degrees or so above room temp. So of the room fluctuates, it's pointless.

I'd suggest a 50w heater with a thermostat. They're bulky but it's distressing and expensive to start treating illnesses.

I ignored all this advice and lost 3 bettas and 4 snails over a period of a few months. Upgrading to a 3 gallon with a good heater and large weekly water changes, and keeping only the betta and one nerite snail, is where things finally got healthy.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

trennamw, do you think I could start with just a betta and if it goes well I could get a frog? I'm thinking 2.5 gal for sure.

A betta and a frog in that small a tank isn't a great idea. It probably holds just over a gallon of actual water.

I've kept a betta alone in a 2.5 gallon for a year. even with a ton of plants, a weekly 50% water change barely kept it healthy.

Try just a betta, weekly water changes, and yes a heater. As mentioned above, temperature stability is important.

Another issue with the small tank: the tiny heaters made for that size don't keep temperature stable, they just keep it 2 degrees or so above room temp. So of the room fluctuates, it's pointless.

I'd suggest a 50w heater with a thermostat. They're bulky but it's distressing and expensive to start treating illnesses.

I ignored all this advice and lost 3 bettas and 4 snails over a period of a few months. Upgrading to a 3 gallon with a good heater and large weekly water changes, and keeping only the betta and one nerite snail, is where things finally got healthy.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

trennamw, do you think I could start with just a betta and if it goes well I could get a frog? I'm thinking 2.5 gal for sure.

I agree completely with trennamw and advise getting a bigger tank. I too ignored suggestions on getting heaters and filters and deeply regret it. I had the sweetest dark-red crown-tail betta that surprisingly lasted for awhile in a 2.5g but eventually died due to poor conditions. They will do OK in room temp water (as long as the room temp is not too cold) but they are so much happier and active in a nicely heated tank with a filter and will thrive. You will definitely notice the difference. They are very clever fish and can even recognize their owner. I feel they have a bad rep for being seemingly "bowl-hardy" or "no-tech" fish and really deserve better. Also, getting a bigger tank will reduce the frequent maintenance somewhat so its a win-win situation. Anyway, whatever you choose, good luck and happy fish-keeping! :)

You def need a heater. Bettas thrive between 78 and 82. I don't recommend the frog either in that small of a tank.

Jaeroo, did your betta have a heater? What were the bad conditions he died from? Just want some insight on what I might be dealing with :)

Brennae, do you mean the frog alone or with a betta in a tank that small?

I mean the frog and betta together in a tank so small. If it was a 10g I would say go ahead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom