Betta Tank NPT/Walstad Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashenwelt

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

So I am thinking of a small Walstad betta tank. I have been trying to find a tank that caught my eye that would fit in my office... and be small enough to move to it when I am back in the office. I wanted something unique, but still obviously a tank.

So, I am looking at this combination:

UP AQUA UA-001B ultra white Fluorescent Blue Silicone Aquarium
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IJQMWMU/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Fluval Mini Power Compact Lamp - 13W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QSV8X...TF8&colid=1A8YAEX4EUK1H&coliid=I3LIQE3V4WN80Z

So the tank looks to be about 2.4 gallons. So my question is two part:

1. Would this be a good first attempt at a true Walstad tank? No filter, no heater (my home and office varies 70-80 degrees), no pump. True NPT.
2. Would this be ethically big enough for a betta?
3. While it could be a failure, would it be big enough for a betta with spaces for shrimp (RCS) to hide?

Thanks all!

I don't know about the other stuff but that's a bit on the chilly side for a betta, they tend towards the low to mid 80s to be ok

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't risk shrimp with a Betta. Whilst it's not uncommon for people to keep them together without problems I found that my Betta was eating them.

Problems I found with my Walstad style tank was that everything was short lived. I don't think they are feasible unless the mistakes I made are considered.

1) You need flow. No question, bettas don't like too much flow though. Without flow the water stagnates. Oxygen has a hard to moving through stagnated water. Same with co2 for plants.

2) No water changes + no flow = surface scum. Surface scum also prevents adequate gas transfer at the surface further lowering oxygen levels. Surface scum (biofilm) can house some nasties bacteria too. Water changes are required.

3) The ammonia and organic matter in the soil has to be broken down by bacteria for the first few weeks as the weeks pass this activity will increase and the bacteria will further draw on o2. Without adequate ammonia oxidising bacteria for the first few weeks daily water changes will be required if Betta is added from the start.

4) if plants are not producing o2 because of poor conditions (my attempt) they actually start to contribute to low o2 levels.

So to summarise:

If you have no filter that's fine but you must have good turnover with a gentle surface ripple. Weekly water changes I would recommend definitely for the first 3-4 weeks. Then every two after that maximum. It's probably drifted too far away from the Walstad methodology that it probably shouldn't be called a Walstad anymore but that's my advice.

Make sure you keep the plants healthy. if they are dying they are not good for the system.

I'd also look at a 5 gallon for a Betta with a heater as suggested already.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't risk shrimp with a Betta. Whilst it's not uncommon for people to keep them together without problems I found that my Betta was eating them.

Problems I found with my Walstad style tank was that everything was short lived. I don't think they are feasible unless the mistakes I made are considered.

1) You need flow. No question, bettas don't like too much flow though. Without flow the water stagnates. Oxygen has a hard to moving through stagnated water. Same with co2 for plants.

2) No water changes + no flow = surface scum. Surface scum also prevents adequate gas transfer at the surface further lowering oxygen levels. Surface scum (biofilm) can house some nasties bacteria too. Water changes are required.

3) The ammonia and organic matter in the soil has to be broken down by bacteria for the first few weeks as the weeks pass this activity will increase and the bacteria will further draw on o2. Without adequate ammonia oxidising bacteria for the first few weeks daily water changes will be required if Betta is added from the start.

4) if plants are not producing o2 because of poor conditions (my attempt) they actually start to contribute to low o2 levels.

So to summarise:

If you have no filter that's fine but you must have good turnover with a gentle surface ripple. Weekly water changes I would recommend definitely for the first 3-4 weeks. Then every two after that maximum. It's probably drifted too far away from the Walstad methodology that it probably shouldn't be called a Walstad anymore but that's my advice.

Make sure you keep the plants healthy. if they are dying they are not good for the system.

Thank you for the details. So an airstone or what would you think for surface ripple? Powerheads just push to hard.

So to summarise:

Thank you for the details. So an airstone or what would you think for surface ripple? Powerheads just push to

Back
Top Bottom