Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

betta tank too big?

I was tagged on a video about betta fish on Facebook. watched it and the video mentioned that your tank size can be too big for a betta to be happy... after googling it further I have found a lot of people agreeing with this I have a 68 litre /nearly 15 gallons) for.my Betta who lives on his own. is this too big for him? will he not be happy? has anyone else had good experiences of betta living in a large tank (I know.my tank isn't as large as some/ most of guys).

Old 12-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Does he seem happy? It does depend on the individual fish. If your betta does seem like he has too much space, though, there are fish that can be kept with them in the tank. You can have bottom feeding fish like catfish or loaches as well as fish like tetras that will stay away. You can also have frogs or shrimp.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've only ever had one betta when I was very little and he was in a 1g, but if yours seems fine then don't change anything, you wouldn't want to mess with something that's working.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've seen happy bettas in 55 gallons, it realy depends on the decor, water flow and tank mates. He sounds happy so I wouldn't worry.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 12-30-2016, 12:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

15 gallons is Wonderful for a Betta. Ignore those who think smaller beta tanks are better. You will observe rarer, more natural behavior from your betta than most.
Nice job
Old 12-30-2016, 01:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you for being one of the rare people who cares about their bettas. There is no such thing as a tank too big for a betta. Ignore those who tell you that cramping a fish is healthier. But when a ton of places that you go to tell you a lie, and a ton of places tell you otherwise, it gets confusing on who to believe, so I appreciate you asking the question. The fifteen gallon will be a betta paradise. I have my sweet baby boy Bernie in a ten gallon. He rules it (except for the three nerite snails). Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1235.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	292485Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1236.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	292486

Crazy Fish Lady that needs an intervention...

FishMommy8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry about the pictures double posting. I don't know why they do that.

Crazy Fish Lady that needs an intervention...

FishMommy8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks guys I'll leave Betta in his big tank
Old 12-30-2016, 05:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishMommy8962 View Post
Thank you for being one of the rare people who cares about their bettas. There is no such thing as a tank too big for a betta. Ignore those who tell you that cramping a fish is healthier. But when a ton of places that you go to tell you a lie, and a ton of places tell you otherwise, it gets confusing on who to believe, so I appreciate you asking the question. The fifteen gallon will be a betta paradise. I have my sweet baby boy Bernie in a ten gallon. He rules it (except for the three nerite snails). Attachment 292485Attachment 292486
thank you yeah so many people saying is bad and stresses them out. but maybe thwy are trying to justify their small tank....
mine looks similar to yours. I have some bog wood but other than its pretty much the same. I love the floating wood.. where did you get it?
Old 12-30-2016, 06:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubeardy View Post
I love the floating wood.. where did you get it?
I just saw those at a Petco a couple days ago. Zoo Med makes the one I saw, but it's sometimes shelved with reptiles, sometimes with aquarium decorations.

Tags
betta, big, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com