betta tank too big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loubeardy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was tagged on a video about betta fish on Facebook. watched it and the video mentioned that your tank size can be too big for a betta to be happy... after googling it further I have found a lot of people agreeing with this :( I have a 68 litre /nearly 15 gallons) for.my Betta who lives on his own. is this too big for him? will he not be happy? has anyone else had good experiences of betta living in a large tank (I know.my tank isn't as large as some/ most of guys).

Does he seem happy? It does depend on the individual fish. If your betta does seem like he has too much space, though, there are fish that can be kept with them in the tank. You can have bottom feeding fish like catfish or loaches as well as fish like tetras that will stay away. You can also have frogs or shrimp.

I've only ever had one betta when I was very little and he was in a 1g, but if yours seems fine then don't change anything, you wouldn't want to mess with something that's working.

I've seen happy bettas in 55 gallons, it realy depends on the decor, water flow and tank mates. He sounds happy so I wouldn't worry.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

15 gallons is Wonderful for a Betta. Ignore those who think smaller beta tanks are better. You will observe rarer, more natural behavior from your betta than most.
Nice job :)

Thank you for being one of the rare people who cares about their bettas. There is no such thing as a tank too big for a betta. Ignore those who tell you that cramping a fish is healthier. But when a ton of places that you go to tell you a lie, and a ton of places tell you otherwise, it gets confusing on who to believe, so I appreciate you asking the question. The fifteen gallon will be a betta paradise. I have my sweet baby boy Bernie in a ten gallon. He rules it (except for the three nerite snails). IMG_1235.jpgIMG_1236.jpg

Thank you for being one of the rare people who cares about their bettas. There is no such thing as a tank too big for a betta. Ignore those who tell you that cramping a fish is healthier. But when a ton of places that you go to tell you a lie, and a ton of places tell you otherwise, it gets confusing on who to believe, so I appreciate you asking the question. The fifteen gallon will be a betta paradise. I have my sweet baby boy Bernie in a ten gallon. He rules it (except for the three nerite snails). View attachment 292485View attachment 292486
thank you :) yeah so many people saying is bad and stresses them out. but maybe thwy are trying to justify their small tank....
mine looks similar to yours. I have some bog wood but other than its pretty much the same. I love the floating wood.. where did you get it?

Yeah, I got mine at petco, it's just called Floating Log by Zoo Med. I think they also might have them at petsmart. [emoji4]

I just saw those at a Petco a couple days ago. Zoo Med makes the one I saw, but it's sometimes shelved with reptiles, sometimes with aquarium decorations.
unfortunately we done have petco... I'm in the UK. I have looked all over the pets stores here and zip. think it may be an online job!

I have a male in a 48 bowfront and he's happier than ever.

The natural habitat for Betta's consists of millions of gallons ... I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as too big of a tank. You can have too much current or not enough hiding places though.

Harry

I think he was meaning the height of it. Like Harry said, if the current is too strong and he's in a tall tank. He may have trouble getting from the bottom to the top but Bettas will find a way. Too intelligent of a fish not to adapt

he has hiding places :) and I plan to put a castle in for him at one piont. I do have a current but he doesn't seem to bothered about it (and it does only take up a a very dialling part of the tank :) )

My Betta is actually happier in a tank with a current than in a tank that had almost no current and little water agitation.

My betta at one point got stuck in the filter bufferer and so I took it off but at this point of being in the ten gallon, he had gotten much stronger and so ended up having more fun being in there with the current.

Back
Top Bottom