Betta with a Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Origamgam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm thinking about starting a 10 gallon to put a Betta in and i was wondering if i would be able to put a Pleco with him for cleaning. If not what do you guys recommend and any tips would be nice. :thanks:

A 10 is pretty small for any pleco but you may consider a small school of corys if your looking for bottom feeders

Plecos are actually really messy fish, so they are as good as cleaning as many people think. Also, I don't personally know of any plecos that are well suited for a 10g tank. Have you heard of nerite snails? They are really pretty, don't reproduce in freshwater, and eat algae. A nerite or 2 will help out your tank more than a pleco would IMO.

Ok thanks how many would you recommend and the beta would not hurt them right? Oh and do they take any type of special food like Betas do?

I am sorry to chime in on your post but I was wondering if I can put a Pleco in my 30G freshwater? I currently have 2 Chinese algae eaters in there but are very territoral and semi-agressive.

I am sorry to chime in on your post but I was wondering if I can put a Pleco in my 30G freshwater? I currently have 2 Chinese algae eaters in there but are very territoral and semi-agressive.

I would not. 30 Gallons isn't very big given the size the CAEs will reach. If they are already showing aggression than I would expect it to only get worse as they mature.

There are a few plecos suitable for 30 gallons but they would max out about half the size of your CAEs and would probably become targets

Back
Top Bottom