Big Nitrite Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikey5time

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

So we've had a tank for a little over a month, 10G, that we got for my son for his 7th birthday (he's only responsible for remembering to feed them, he's 7, we're not going to make him do any sort of heavy maintenance). We had gotten him 3 neon tetras, but they seemed to be acting oddly so someone had suggested to me I get two more to get them up to schooling levels.

Now after I did this I discovered that 10G is too small for tetras period, let alone 5. I had been testing a couple times a week with test strips and our nitrate/nitrite levels were always extremely low. I'd been using API stress coat and quick start at water changes, but ever since I added the two new fish, approximately 20 hours now, the nitrite has gone way way up. Initially the five of them seemed to be schooling and were fine, but now they're darting around slamming into each other, it's very sad and frustrating.

Soooo... I know it's my fault, I messed up. My responsibility. Plan is to purchase a new 20G tank and set it up immediately and move the fishes over as soon as it's ready. I have two issues. One, today is a holiday therefore every single store in the universe is closed and I can't purchase anything. Two, we have limited supplies left. We're down to 1 test strip. We still have stress coat/quick start left, but nothing else with which to treat the water.

What can I do to safeguard my little beauties until I can get their new bigger home set up and ready, disregarding anything but keeping them healthy in the short term. I know changing too much water will destroy the bacteria in the tank, but that's a secondary concern as I feel like I'm killing them already.

Time/effort is not going to be a problem short term. If I need to keep constantly changing the water for the next three days, I can do it, I'm just looking for ways to keep them going.

Thanks in advance.

You're tank isn't cycled. I'd change out 50% of the water daily.

I'm not a big fan of test strips because they're unreliable. I'd go with the API master test kit (liquid test kit). Keep your ammonia at or below .25 ppm. Nitrites really seem to cause health issues quick in fish so I'd keep them at 0 if possible.

Neons are not the best fish to cycle a tank with. They aren't very hardy so you'll probably need to plan on daily water changes.

Cut out the quick start, doesn't really work, and get a product like Seachem Prime. Prime and water changes is all you really need in a fish in cycle.

I picked up some prime, I found a local fish store that, while not actually open, had staff in doing stuff and answering the phone. They were good enough to give me a hand, so I did a water change and added the chemicals, they seem much happier now.
I’ll have the 20G set up by tomorrow evening, hopefully they’ll be okay through tomorrow.

Thanks again for your reply.

Your 20g won't be cycled if you're just setting it up so you'll be in the same boat with water quality. Just change out 50% of the water every 2-3 days and feed lightly once a day. Be totally consistent with this. Test the water every day or two. If it gets bad quick then do a water change immediately.

Let us know how it goes.

ThFzrNhV7vjvFNBn7

Hope this one shows...

Does this look like an okay stand? Asking after I filled the thing up, but I figure I might as well get an opinion or two before I get fish in there.

https://m2.ikea.com/ca/en/p/trofast...ine-light-white-stained-pine-white-s09102532/

It’s one of these from Ikea. We have the 10
Gallon on it and it’s been fine, but I’m paranoid about it giving out, lol. It seems better than the pressboard ones they were selling at the pet store but I worry about distribution of weight.

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom