bio filtration and oxygenation question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SignalSoldier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody,

Alright so I have my little 10g tank, going to be starting the cycle in a couple weeks. I just have a couple questions and want to know what you guys think of what I have setup.

I currently have a Marineland penguin 75 power filter, with the bio-wheel. I don't feel comfortable enough with just a biowheel as I know they are not as effective as some biomax media. So I went ahead and bought a little baggie of the aquaclear biomax ceramic pellets. My question is, does the bio media need to be exposed to air directly or does it function sitting completely submerged as in how I have it sitting in the empty space in the picture? And what do you guys think of something like this? A bio wheel and some extra bio filter media? Or would I be better off just removing the bio wheel and adding another small bag of biomax to completely fill up the empty space?

Secondly, as for water oxygination; in my other picture below...should this be enough surface disturbance? This is also creating lots of little tiny bubble through the tank aswell swirling around and creating a decent current.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20150730_164003.jpg
    20150730_164003.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20150730_163906.jpg
    20150730_163906.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 54
Submerged ceramic biomedia is fine. The flow in the filter should provide enough O2 and nutrients for it to function properly.
If it does not bother you, leave the wheel on there.
From the pic it looks like decent surface agitation and movement is present.
Edit: Thought the same thing when I had the same type of filter. Does not hurt to have additional media in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom