Bio media enhancer in fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verochloeedgar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I am starting my fishless cycling today and I bought some fluval cycling bacteria to add to start the cycle but I heard that it is a different type of bacteria and therefore better not to use it. I added 5ml before knowing this. I haven't added any ammonia yet. Would cause my cycle not to be successful or crash? Should I do a water change and clean the filters and start over? Or can I carry on and start adding ammonia now? I just want to know if someone has experience with these liquid bacteria products.
Thank you!

I used Seachem Stability and API Quickstart in mine while establishing the cycle. Also I'm adding Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride up to 3-4ppm to feed the bacteria while they are growing. My photo period is 6hrs/day. The cycle is coming along fairly decently given today is only the 30th day. I think you should be fine with the Fluval bacteria. I started adding ammonia 24 hrs after I added bacteria. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything. Also you got a pic of the bottle you have?

Yes I have a picture. I was planning to add 4ppm ammonia tomorrow and then carry on as suggested in some articles adding 1ppm when the ammonia comes down initially. I read on a review of these product that the bacteria in it actually compete with the more "natural" better bacteria you intend to grow so I wasn't sure if the cycle would work this way. I will try and see what happens! Thank you!

No problem at all. So far so good with my experience with bacteria in a bottle. Still thinking I got another 2-4 weeks left in my cycle. Do you have some test strips or a master test kit to keep an eye on the parameters? I haven't heard a too much on the bacteria competing with the natural bacteria but hopefully someone will chime in on that subject. No worries on the pic though

No problem at all. So far so good with my experience with bacteria in a bottle. Still thinking I got another 2-4 weeks left in my cycle. Do you have some test strips or a master test kit to keep an eye on the parameters? I haven't heard a too much on the bacteria competing with the natural bacteria but hopefully someone will chime in on that subject. No worries on the pic though

Yes I have an API freshwater test kit [emoji851] my tap water and dechlorinated water tested 7.4 ph, 0 ammonia and nitrites and 5 ppm nitrates. So it seems a good starting point.
Thank you!

No problem. Post back up if you have any other questions or run into a snag. Glad you got a kit to test with. Seems like a good starting point indeed

Back
Top Bottom