Bio Orb 30L what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anne stuart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm re-setting up my bio orb 30L after another goldfish death. Pretty much we've determined that it's just too small for goldfish. I would love to add plants but Ive read that bio orbs do not do well with plants for a whole bunch of reasons. So I'm stuck with no live plants in there. I don't currently have a heater but if it's not a huge deal I'd be willing to get one. I'm a a working mom with a dog and 2 cats and a house to also take care of so I really need this thing to be easy. I"m talking a PWC every week or two and daily feeding is about as much as I can handle. It was supposed to be for my kid after all. I've heard beta and shrimp from a number of people. Any other suggestions? And do I need a heater?

Betas and shrimp ideally need a heater. There are other cold water fish besides goldfish to consider as well, white cloud minnows are one such species. Some barbs can also tolerate cooler temps but may be too active for that tank.

Thanks! I'll probably just get a heater since it seems to make the choices easier.

A heater with a thermostat, not one of the ones that just raises the water a few degrees above room temp. There are some on amazon around $10.

I'd recommend a betta and not much more, given your schedule.

You can make more frequent water changes easier with a piece of aquarium tubing and some suction cup airline holders. I fit in more water changes this way, attaching the tubing so it ends halfway down the tank wall, starting a siphon to empty to a bucket while I clean nearby. It stops on it's own at the right spot (but you want to keep an eye on it in case it falls). Then you put clean water up above and siphon it back in slowly. If you get in the habit of doing a gallon a few times a week, that can supplement the 50% chef he you do more rarely.

Also, cycle the tank before anyone lives in it if you can.

Great tip! With a heated tank do I need to heat the new water before adding it to the tank? I have always put water in a bucket and treated it then left it n the room for a few hours to come to room temp. A pwc on an 8 gallon is only 2 gallons so it doesn't rake long to warm up.

A lot of us run the tap to the temp of the tank. I check it with an instant read meat thermometer.

It'd be important to change 50% weekly, not just 2 gallons.

It'd be important to change 50% weekly, not just 2 gallons.

Really? I had heard 50% only in the event of something rather large like a fish dying. I worry about us not keeping a good bio filter if I change much more than 30% weekly especially on such a small tank.

Changing the water does not harm the beneficial bacteria (biofilter). It lives on hard surfaces (filter media, substrate, plants, decorations, etc), not free floating in the water.

Changing 50% will keep nitrates in check. In smaller tanks, nitrate can build to harmful levels rapidly.

Regular large (50% a week) water changes are pretty common. It does stress the fish a little but mine have done well since every water change includes something that helps slime coat.

All that is in old water are waste, toxins, used up buffers ... A little research on total dissolved solids, osmotic stress, and redox really support frequent large changes.

Do not, on the other hand. Change your filter cartridge every few weeks. That's where your bacteria are.

Regular large (50% a week) water changes are pretty common. It does stress the fish a little but mine have done well since every water change includes something that helps slime coat.

What are you using for slime coat? All I treat the water with is the Seachum Prime Dechlor the fish store sold me. I had this idea that fish would be an easy pet for my daughter, it's turning into a whole science experiment for Mommy.

Another question. I've got this drift wood that I had added to the tank, causing a PH change which killed my poor little goldfish, should I put it back in the tank as I"m sort of re-setting it up? Would it be a problem with a betta? It looks pretty smooth to me, but will the PH thing be an issue again or was that just cause i made too drastic a change to the tank with an existing fish?

Yeah I started with a betta in a gallon for my son, now have a betta (not the same, 3 have died) in a 3 gallon after I learned more about water quality ... And I got so geeky I have a 29 gallon for myself. Really should have gotten a cat.

I use API stress coat but I hear Prime is better.

All I know about driftwood is that it's good you're asking the question. And if it will snag pantyhose it can hurt a betta.

Good tip about pantyhose. Now let me see if I can go back to the 80s when we all wore those... I've already got 2 cats, at least the fish don't wake me up at 4am wanting attention or hacking up a fur ball on the rug.

I can't grow live plants in a biorb. I've ordered some silk plants and I read that I need to snip off any plastic bits. Have you found anything good for Bettas?

Back
Top Bottom