Biological Filtration - Desktop tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrzejlew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everybody,

I'm a new member. I was wondering if anybody had advice for how I could add some more biological filtration to my 5g desktop tank.

The filter takes a medium Whisper Bio Bag (Filter media: Whisper Bio-Media Filter Bags).

I am wondering if there is a way to add in some additional biological filtration to my filter. I don't like the idea of throwing out my biological filter every time I change the filter bag.

In the long run I'm planning to invest in some 3-stage filtration (like these: Aquarium Filter Media: Foster & Smith Aquatics Bio3 Filter Cartridges), but what can I do in the meantime?

Thanks!

Since I'm not familiar with those filter bags, if it's similar to other filter media / cartridge ... there's no need to change the filter cartridge unless it's literally falling apart. Just use tank water during PWC's to rinse of debris. When the day comes it HAS to be replaced ... you stuff as much of the old cartridge next (may have to cut apart the old) to the new one. This way BB from the old cartridge can seed the new one.

You shouldn't need to ever throw away those bags, unless they are so clogged that there is water overflowing your filter and bypassing the bags.

Instead of putting those carbon inserts into the bag - you can go down to the pet store and buy any good quality filter foam (or just go to the grocery store and get some pot scrubber pads) and cut them to fit into the bag.

That will give you more bio filtration and get rid of the carbon which is not needed unless you're cleaning up medications.

I should add that - if the bags ARE getting clogged - I would invest in some generic filter media bags from the petstore that are mesh instead of wool fiber - then just put sponges or pot scrubbers inside and voila! Never need to throw that away, just rinse it out.

Back
Top Bottom