Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

FYI, a couple mins of chlorinated water won't kill all your beneficial bacteria.

I know a few people who have always rinsed their filter media in plain tap water, and never had issues. I don't exactly recommend that, but I would say it's not instant death.

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannde
Sorry, yes - I meant to imply that I would wait for nitrites to hit zero first. 3 females PER male ? (lucky guys !) - I hadn't seen advice about that ratio before. You're right, there are going to be LOTS of children at that ratio ! My intent was to add a carnivore (a Betta actually) to the tank - he wouldn't eat himself to death, would he ???
I don't think the betta is going to keep up with the potential amount of fry; furthermore, it would be unhealthy if it did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [url=http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/articles/BettaCare.html
aquariumhobbyist[/url]]If one were to observe the feeding habits of the betta in his natural habitat, they would notice that he eats a large variety of small insects that land on the water surface. This makes the betta splendens a carnivore, so when feeding your betta it is wise to give them a variety of different foods. A staple food such as betta bites, betta bio-gold, or betta min should be fed on a daily basis once or twice a day and only 5 or 6 pellets at a time. However, some bettas love variety, and can be fed freeze dried or frozen bloodworms, baby brine shrimp, or live foods such as mosquito larvae 2 or 3 times a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [url=http://www.aquariumadvice.com/profiles/6_23_en.html
AA Betta article[/url]]Bettas are carnivorous, which mean they eat meat. Their favorits include bloodworms, blackworms, mosiquito larva, ect.
There's a big size difference between mosquito larvae and fry.
The answer to "he wouldn't eat himself to death, would he ?" is yes. Bettas are prone to blockage and bloating which will occur if allowed to feast on fry.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok - thanks !

Tonight I got 6 neon tetras and three dwarf sunrise platies (total lenght of all nine fish is probably 5 inches ! - at least for now !). So far everyone seems to be doing fine. I acclimated for a little over an hour, floating the bag and adding small amts of tank water every 5 minutes or so during that period, finally dumping all the water into a bucket while catching the fish in a net before releasing them into the tank.

I was thinking of getting another three dwarf sunrise platies next to have a group of 6 but if that leads to overpopulation and a blocked betta then I'll rethink my plan. I did ask about the mix awhile ago and got a green light - rich was the first one to ask about plans for the fry, which I hadn't even really thought about - I'm SUCH a doobie newbie ! Guess I'll be rethinking my plan !

I do really like giant danios but was told that they like to be in groups of 6, which would just about overstock my tank on their own, and that they are too active for a betta to live with. :::: sigh :::::

I did see dwarf neon rainbowfish at the LFS tonight so that might be another option and since they're easier to identify as male/female (red dorsal vs yellow dorsal) I may be able to get all one sex so that they don't reproduce also and complicate the issue.

I also would like to add 3 cory cats once the tank is fully stabilized. Would they find fry a tasty snack also ?

Malkore - thanks for the note on the chorinated water - guess I've been reading too much !!! I saw a post somewhere (don't even remember if it was this forum or a website) where someone was told they'd have to start from scratch after forgetting to condition the water for a few minutes .... guess I just got scared into thinking I had killed all of mine also. I'll take ANY survivors ! I really hate the thought of any of the fish getting poisoned from ammonia or nitrites. I did read one of TomK's posts about "low bioload cycling" so I'll just go slow - at least the tank isn't completely empty anymore - I should be able to be a little more patient now (I hope !!!).

Thanks again - as you can see, I need all the help I can get !
Old 05-05-2006, 03:04 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

You're doing fine

If you add a betta to this tank, I will agree with Menagerie - the betta will probably eat too many platy fry than is good for him. Look at the second box she quoted for you - the betta should have a staple food every day, and should not be fed the live, frozen or freeze-dried foods more than 2-3 times a week. This is exactly how I feed my bettas. I also feed bettas some pea pieces once a week to help guard against bloat and constipation. (Boil peas - frozen are easier to handle than canned - cool and peel the skin off. Feed the "meat" of the pea.) The betta will accept the pea more readily if you cut it up in small pieces that are the same size as his regular food. That is a bit tedious to cut up a little pea, but what we do for our fish, lol!

I also "fast" my bettas - skip a day of feeding - one day a week, usually the day after I feed the peas. This helps give the digestive system a rest, and also mimics natural conditions, since fish most likely do not eat in the wild every day.

About betta tankmates - the danios are going to be much too active for a slow-moving betta. Tetras are also questionable with a betta. I have seen a group of neon tetras "gang up" and nip a betta at a lfs. (I informed the owner and the betta was moved out of that tank.) A 29 gallon tank that is not overstocked may give the tetras enough territory that they are not bothering the betta. Just watch very closely; sometimes bettas work out nicely in a community tank and sometimes they don't. It depends on the personality of the betta as well as what tankmates are with him. If you do try, the best thing to do is to have a backup plan for the betta, such as his own 5-gallon tank that he can be moved into if necessary.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your tank sounds great! I love platies myself and am caring for about 25-30 platy fry with more coming, but it seems like it's going to be a never ending reproduction cycle now, lol. Good luck!!
Old 05-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

And thanks again ! I do plan on getting a 5 gal as a backup. I won't be adding the Betta until I know the tank is fully cycled, so I'll be able to seed the 5 gal and worry less about cycling time there (but of course I'll check the water parameters often and do PWCs as needed). If the Betta works in the 29 gal then I'll use the 5 gal to raise the fry.

Good news - the BioSpira is DEFINITELY working One of the neons didn't make it through the night and I was concerned about an ammonia spike. The neon was apparently weak from the start - the other 5 neons found each other within 10 minutes, this little guy was hanging all by himself. Current parameters - NH3 = 0.0ppm and NO2 =0.5ppm.

Everyone is eating right now - I gave them a few teeny floating pellets and they're all having fun chasing them throughout the tank. I did overfeed a little - didn't realize how many of those pellets stuck to my finger !

I'm going to start a new thread to gather additional ideas for tahnkmates - I'm starting to run out of ideas LOL
Old 05-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just FYI, my biospira seemed to do the same thing, taking care of all the ammonia but not converting nitrite to nitrate.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

My nitrites are DEFINITELY being converted - the first 24 hrs I saw no change in nitrites but its now been 48 hrs and the nitrites fell from 1ppm to 0.5ppm. I'd say BioSpira works.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Glad to hear it is going well. just keep testing and enjoy your tank.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice
Just FYI, my biospira seemed to do the same thing, taking care of all the ammonia but not converting nitrite to nitrate.
The nitrite -> nitrate bacteria reproduce more slowly than the ammonia -> nitrite bacteria, so that part of the cycle would likely take longer. If it wasn't converting at all, then that wouldn't be so great - but it should be doing something.

6g Marineland Eclipse (8w T-5):
- anacharis, asian ambulia, java moss
- white cloud mountain minnows (10 = 6-7 inches total)
noncentric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio, biospira, fishless, nitrites, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com