Bitten By The Tank Bug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been bitten by the tank bug. I want another tank. I'm hoping something in the twenty to seventy-five gallon range. This all depends if it's affordable. What is a good starter community tank fish for the almost absolute beginner? I have had five bettas in gallon bowls, and a current one in a ten gallon tank. I will never keep another fish in a bowl, so I don't need that lecture, lol. I need to know as much info about the fish as possible. What foods they need, good tank mates, etc. I want a colorful beginners community tank. Thanks.

You need to decide on tank size before stocking. I would suggest as big a tank as you can manage. A 30 gal is a good size for a beginner community, although a 40 or a 55 (or even bigger) would give you wider choices in fish. Also, having a bigger tank allows you to keep more of the fish in a school .... a big school of fish looks much better than just 3 or 4 of a kind. <And the fish behaves better as well.>

My choices of tanks to start a tropical community would be a 40B or a 75g. The 18" width offers a lot more decorating options as well as more square footage for fish to swim. Cheap lighting is readily available for a 75g in the form of shop lights.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Multiple Tank Syndrome. Once you've got it, it's hard to stop. I'd hate to think about what my basement would look like if I didn't have to spend money remodeling the rest of the house.

I looked at tanks today. There was a twenty gallon starter tank kit for around eighty bucks, that was a really good deal. I'm going to save up for it.

There were some little spotted puffers. They were so cute, but I know they aren't so little as adults. I want one someday, but when I'm more experienced and have a much larger tank.

So what will be good fish for a twenty gallon community tank? I need to know how many I can get of each type too. I want colorful schooling fish.

The starter kits aren't usually worth the money. The filters and heaters included are usually substandard for the tank. Most people end up replacing the included equipment shortly after buying the kit. You'd be money ahead to pick up a used setup from Craigslist or piece it together yourself.

Most puffers are brackish fish and they don't get along with much of anything.

I've got some Hengel's rasboras in my 20H. They're a peach color with brilliant orange and black sides. I'd get more if I could find them.

I just bought a 50 gallon tank...and I'm a "beginner"! I think it'll be great, because it's big enough to have a number of species (including the Betta) and also small enough to be able to reach all the spots to clean! :) my research and development has told me that green neon tetras, corys and small rasborras are a good choice for Bettas...you just want to be careful because a lot of species will nip on huge fins, especially slow moving ones...

I second craigslist! I got my 55 for $75 and it has the stand, heater, and filter, even gravel. The only thing was the glass where the light goes over on the hood had a crack, can't even see it, plus I'm ditching it for a better light for a planted tank. A week after I got my 5 gallon starter from my mom, I had a 55 and 38 gallon!

Oh and just a tip for the bettas, google diy dividers. You can make them for like 5$ and then you can reduce the amount of bowls you have. Your ten gallon could easily make 4-2.5 gallon compartments. Much easier cleaning IMO. Plus they look cool!

Well, I have a Betta, yes, but he is happy by himself. He is not going to be part of the new tank. I just mentioned the Betta to show my amount of experience. Which is almost none. I have looked on Craigslist, but I didn't find anything. They only had tanks without anything else for the same price as this kit. I know that I am going to get the kit. That's not my question. I just need to know what would be some good fish to put in there. What about Zebra Danios? They are schooling fish, what I'm looking for. They are cute little fish. Would those be good? I'll do some research on my own as well. If there are any big things about the danios that would make them not a good option, then please do tell. Thanks!

I'm passing on this website to you...I have found it very helpful, and actually kinda fun (in a geeky way)

Aqadvisor.com

It really helps with tank mate compatibility! Just put in the characteristics of your tank and select the species and number of each type you want and it will tell you if it works! It will also tell you if the tank can support the stock you want with a percent of capacity...it's really cool and really straight forward...I'd suggest playin around with it for a while :)

Ps...thanks for who ever told me about it (I can't remember)

Bettababe1011 said:
Thank you, I am going to the website right now!

Let me know how it works for you...I think it said zebra danios didn't work with Bettas but for some reason pearl danios did...I like zebras as well :)

It's a bit confusing for me. I guess I'll figure it out as I try to use it. Did you see the post where I said that the Betta was not to be part of the community? So Allie is not configured into the planning for the tank.

Hey Bettababe;

I love to see it when others get the bug for more tanks. BTW, what's your price range. I just recently bought a 60 gallon tank from Petsmart to satisfy my multiple tank syndrome. The cool thing about it is that it came with a sturdy stand strong enough to hold the tank. I paid $260 bucks for it. It may sound like a lot but, considering you get a stand you can count on that actually looks pretty good, I think it's a good deal. My wife even liked the stand :). Furthermore, through this site, I've learned that larger tanks can be EASIER to maintain when it comes to water quality. The one thing you have to be aware of is the weight of a larger tank when it's filled with water, gravel, etc. That will really limit what size tank you can get. Some tanks are so heavy that if you have a crawlspace under your house and are not on a concrete slab you could do real damage. There are sites out there where you can check out the approximate weight of any tank you're planning on.

BTW, I have to admit I'm biased against craigslist/ebay. There are too many things that can go wrong with a larger tank (i.e: leaks, cracks, etc) that I remain weary. BUT, that is only my opinion. I've seen where a lot of other people have had great success getting their tanks that way.

Good Luck!

Well, my price range is pretty slim. Around a hundred bucks, give or take. I don't have the money right now, I have organic eggs that I sell, I'm gonna save money from that. I can't wait though. When I get planning... Wow, the hardest part will be cycling. Having to wait for weeks or even months. But the thought that my fish will be healthier is enough for me to stand throughout the cycle. But I'm gonna be in a hurry to get the first fish after I'm sure the tank is complete. Can I get six at a time, or do I introduce two or three at a time, slowly? I know that I am getting six zebra danios, but I need suggestions for other fish. I was looking at mollies and then saw that they are best with others of their own species. So mollies are out. Any other ideas?

Oh oops...I guess I read your post wrong *blush* have you looked at guppies? There is a big variety of colors in those bad boys...I'd just say be careful about getting all males, or you may end up with a lot more than the few you started with...are you gonna get any bottom feeders? It's a good idea to get fish that eat from every zone of the tank...it will also get you action everywhere, so it's not just a free for all in the middle water column.

Guppies are very pretty, but do they get on well with the danios? I need to find a small breed of bottomfeeders. I'll do some research. Thanks.

I wasnt referring to putting the Betta in the tank, I just read it as you have multiple bettas in many bowls. But anywho, look at cories or loaches, very cool bottom dwellers! They like schools, so maybe 4 and you'd be set there. If I were you Id do a centerpiece fish also, maybe a dwarf gourami or small ram cichlid (good community fish with awesome colors!). That's probably your max, but that's a good variety. And they have long finned zebra danios at some places, I think theyre very pretty!

cherry barbs are really colorful (red) i have some in one of my tanks, they are alot more peaceful than tiger barbs. i would think they would get along with zebra danios. also, there is a celestial pearl danio that is also pretty sweet.

Oh, let me clarify. I only have one Betta. In the past few years I have had one Betta at a time in bowls. Each lived for about two years. I'm hoping in a big filtered heated tank, Allie will live longer.

I really like the zebra danios, so they would kinda be the focus of the tank. I'm planning tank mates and everything around them. I know that they aren't much to look at, but I think they are cute, pretty little fishies. And they are amusing to watch zip around. I'm considering trying a Cory cat and seeing if it will thrive in my tank. Or rather, three or four, I know they like others of their species. I read that they are delicate in the first week or so, bit if they make it past that will do pretty good. So I can only hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom