Both starter fish dead in two days, what now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StellaStars

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up a 5G tank on Monday and put two little feeder minnows in as "starter fish" at the suggestion of the LFS.

I treated the water with the drops they gave me and fed the fish once, on the first night. They were both excited to eat.

Yesterday they both died. One I saw in it's last moments, the other must have died overnight.

Is that just standard for those kind of fish? The store mentioned they might not survive, but is two days even long enough for an ammonia spike or anything else nasty in the water?

What should I do now? Should I get another couple minnows (or something else as a tank starter?) or should I just cycle the tank on it's own without fish?

I didn't put any bacteria starter in the tank. Also, no live plants yet. They told me to wait, but now I'm wondering if getting the tank aquascaped and cycled first is the way to go.

Thanks everyone!

I'd say, don't get more fish. They probably did die of ammonia spikes. I had a whole fry grow-out tank die out in 2 hours, only saved 2 fry, 27 died. But cycling is definitely important. I'd say go to the nearest hardware store and get some ammonia (make sure it's clear, shake it up, if it makes bubbles like soda bubbles, then it's not safe, but if I makes bubbles like when you shake a water bottle, them it's safe)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And I'd get some live plants if you wanted to get some for your tank, as they will use some of the nitrates. I'd do weekly water changes 50%

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom