Bottled bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Having found myself in an impromptu fish in cycle in a tank seriously overstocked for cycling (long story!!) and after the filter seemingly crashed going from showing reasonable (0.25 to 0.5ppm) levels of ammo and nitrite and 5-10ppm nitrate before I carried out PWC on tuesday evening to yesterday showing 1.0 ppm ammo and zero nitrite and nitrate, I have purchased some Tetra Safestart and after testing this evening I will be dosing my tank and thought I'd record the results here for anyone who's interested in seeing how effective this product is.

If you are using bacteria in a bottle, SafeStart is the way to go. Not everyone has had success with it, but it still has the highest success rate among bacteria boosters. I used "Colonize" by doctors foster and smith and it definitely helped, but I don't think they sell it any more individually, you have to buy an "ammonia emergency" package or something that is 20 or 30 bucks.

Well, this evenings test showed ammo <0.25ppm and zero nitrites & nitrates so have carried out pwc to bring ammo back down, have dosed with 100ml safestart and fed fish. Tank temp is 27degC, pH is stable at 7 and water is 12dKH.
I'll be back with results tomorrow night. Fingers crossed they're positive.

eduguy said:
I have heard Nutrafin Cycle is good.

Was torn between cycle and safestart but majority of opinion I found online leads me to believe that cycle contains bacteria that won't ultimately sustain itself and do needs to be regularly dosed in order to maintain filter function. Not sure if anyone on here can confirm or deny that?

That is correct, unless something has changed. I've not done extensive testing on it, but the lack of willingness to give real data on the product leaves me dubious about it's quality.

Was torn between cycle and safestart but majority of opinion I found online leads me to believe that cycle contains bacteria that won't ultimately sustain itself and do needs to be regularly dosed in order to maintain filter function. Not sure if anyone on here can confirm or deny that?

Yeah, I would go with the SafeStart. It is one of the best. I am desperately hoping my bacteria doesn't die off, because it says on the bottle to dose every week. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Ok. Not quite sure what to make of this but
Ammo 0.25 - 0.5ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Wasn't expecting miracles but had hoped to see something a little more positive!
Have carried out pwc to bring ammo back in check and wait to see what happens tomorrow!

oh what. i already dosed nutrafin cycle and im not planning on dosing weekly

Am beginning to think someone or something doesn't want me to keep fish anymore!!!! Discovered today that my test kit has expired so there's little point in posting my results as they can't be relied upon! Will be picking up a new kit tomorrow but have carried out pwc just to be safe. Will test with reliable kit (possibly panic depending on result!) water change as necessary and see where I am tomorrow!

Ok. So after 2 days of flying blind as it were (no test kit!!) and PWC's as a precautionary measure with added water treated as directed with safestart I finally managed to test my water again today and here's what I found:
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <5
Don't want to tempt fate but my cycle certainly seems to have shifted along in the two days I've been unable to test, although there's no way of knowing how accurate my previous readings were prior to my discovery of the shelf life and expiration of my last kit.
For curiosity's sake I tested ammo & nitrate with both kits today, ammo readings were the same 0 nitrates didn't register on my old expired api kit
I am using the Hagen nutrafin test kit now as opposed to the api I had before, purely as it was the only one in stock in my LFS and truth be told I'd rather have the api kit as the colours are vivid and easy to distinguish unlike my first experience with the Hagen kit but it is entirely possible that the colours will be more vivid as levels increase, if not I'll just have to keep using the untreated water as a side by side comparison (or just get another api kit!)

If you are using bacteria in a bottle, SafeStart is the way to go. Not everyone has had success with it, but it still has the highest success rate among bacteria boosters. I used "Colonize" by doctors foster and smith and it definitely helped, but I don't think they sell it any more individually, you have to buy an "ammonia emergency" package or something that is 20 or 30 bucks.

They still have some, but they replaced it with a new product recently.

Colonize:
Aquarium Biological Water Conditioner: Drs. Foster & Smith Water Repair Series Colonize

New product:

Aquarium Bacterial Additives: Drs. Foster and Smith Live Nitrifying Bacteria

If you ask me, it seems to be the exact same thing in a newer package and different name.

I've used both Colonize and Safestart and have had good results from both. I do all fish in cycles.

Well like I said, don't want to tempt fate but certainly seems like safestart has sped this process along, quite dramatically!
I haven't witnessed any ammo/nitrite spike (but was unable to test for 2 days!) and I can only attribute that to the safestart.
Fingers crossed for positive results tomorrow and every day for the next week or two. I'll be extremely glad to say my cycle has finished after this one!!

Back
Top Bottom