Bottom feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambinojake

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got an otocinclus and was wondering what they eat, how long it takes for them to mature, and if it will get picked at by my 3 adult swordtail, 3 adult guppies, and two kuhli loaches

Otos need a consistent supply of algae to eat, if they don't have that their diet needs to be supplemented with vegetable matter.

I have algea wafers so the constant supply of algea is taken care of

I almost did but it was the healthiest fish there and i wanted to get a small one

They stay small anyways, so you don't need to worry about that. They also add very little to the bio-load of the tank.

But you can get a few more healthy ones as you find them. I think I have 20ish in my 40g.

Some Otos won't eat the algae wafers and for others it takes some time to realize its food. If there isn't a lot of algae in the tank you want to make sure they're eating something. You can try some blanched zucchini or cucumber and put an algae wafer in the middle. You could also try some veggie sticks or wafers.

I was reading an article on Otos and for the life of me can not remember where it was but it suggested growing your own.

You basically take some water in a container and set it on the windowsill where it will get lots of sun, toss some aquarium safe rocks in it and let it do it's things. Once there is algae growth you can take a rock out and put it in the tank and as you need more you remove the old rock replacing it with a new one. The constant switching of rocks gives you enough time to have continuous supply.

Through my current attempt at trying to find the article I read some people saying Otos prefer brown algae to green though but seems like lots of people use variations of this system. Just something to look into! I wish I would have book marked the link I was reading.. I don't have Otos though and really don't remember why I was reading about them either. lol

I agree with library girl, they might not eat algae wafers. They also don't stay at the bottom theyre all over the tank .

From experience to keep oto's long time you will need a group of at least 3. Anyone I know who kept them singly have lost them within a few weeks. My oto's are never on the bottom of the tank, everywhere else the bottom. Blanched courgette is a good thing to try with them as I have had very little success with algae wafers - tetra or hikari.

Back
Top Bottom