bottom feeder for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spencelee10

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am going to set up my 10 gallon Saturday and I've decided on either 5 or7 neons a male betta and some type of bottom feeder. I just need a good fish to clean up the bottom for me. I'm using sand as a substrate its play sand from toys r us (washed very thoroughly) if that helps. Also should I go with 5 or 7 neons?

Welcome to AA!

Just a quick question, do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not, Heres a link: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

A betta is best kept solitary due to its aggressive nature, but It really depends on the betta. So, go ahead and try 4-5 neons and If it doesnt work, make sure to have a back-up plan.

You could try some cheap ghost shrimp, they are great bottom feeders and perfect for a 10 gallon or less. Just a warning, they do have a 50/50 chance of living, the betta might see them as a snack, but like I said, it depends on the personality. If they betta does alright with the ghosties, you could try the more expensive shrimp like amano or Red cherry.

And I do kno about cycling the tank and I'd like to do a fishless cycle but don't have the funds(just a high school kid with a part time job). Is there anything I can do to speed up the process and which fish should I use for the cycle

You don't need tons if money for a fish-less cycle. You have to let the tank do it's thing. And add ammonia to it and just wait. If you rush into it and dont cycle the tank properly, you'll end up spending a lot more money by replacing dead fish.

Sent from my iPhone

Another way to cycle is to just get a small piece of raw shrimp and put in the tank. As it rots, it gives off ammonia. Watch the tank go through it's cycle, and when it's done, remove the rotting shrimp, do a small water change, and add fish.

As for a bottom feeder, don't know of too many that would work. You might be able to get away with 2 Julii Cories, but that's pushing it. And for the neons, I would probably go with 7. But keep in mind that a lot of times they don't last, you'll end up with them dying. I've found very few places that actually have a good stock of neons, most places I've found don't have the best quality in their fish. So they don't last. And no betas.

A fishless cycle is by far less expensive. It is less cruel as well. Those fish that people use for in fish cycles have drastically shortened life spans, and it's not stroll in the park for them to be in those deadly conditions. Please do a fishless cycle, and don't harm the fish!! It will be easier for you both with cleaning and funds.

Damon Salvatore is awesome. Enough said.

On top of all said above:
Fishless cycle is cheaper, because increases your survival rate (less replacements of died fish).
Fishless cycle is less work: Because requires less water changes during the cycle process.

But it will need a lot of patience from you.

Back
Top Bottom