bottom feeders, newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cghill

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm new to this site and completely new to this hobby. I haven't even bought my aquarium yet, I'm just kind of planning it right now. I plan on getting a fresh water 20 gallon or a little larger, and I have a few questions about bottom feeders.

I'm really interested in the fiddler crab, but I've heard some bad things about it eating other fish. My questions are: Is the fiddler crab useful as a bottom feeder, can it be kept with other fish, if so could you name a few example of the fish?

I also saw that somebody had a blue lobster (I think this is what they called it). Is this a bottom feeder? Would it be better than a fiddler crab?

Keep these things in mind:
This aquarium would be primarily for fish, I just though it would be cool to have a variety of creatures.
The main function of the fiddler crab or lobster would be for cleaning the bottom of the tank.

And finally: If I did get the crab or lobster I assume I would still have to get some fish to clean the sides of the tank? Would I be better off sticking some fish like a plecostimous(spelling) to clean the bottom and sides.

Thanks for all your help and sorry this is so long with so man questions.

IMO you would be better off cleaning the sides of your tank yourself since most algea eaters don't really clean the glass well. A plecostomus will eventually lose interest in algea and you will have to feed it pellets, they also get quite big.
I used to have a "blue Lobster" but it used to grab any fish that goes near it by the tail. Its probably the same with crabs. Corydoras are the best bottom feeders that eat any extra food that falls to the bottom. For a bit of variety you could add a few apple snails.
Nicky.

Fiddler crabs are brackish, not freshwater. They do best in a species tank IMO-- same with "lobsters" and other kinds of crayfish.

i have a Dojo Loach for a bottom feeder in my tank. he keeps things next and clean. they are different looking and are much safer with the fish. i have a pic of him in my gallary. they may be hard to find sometimes but corys or loaches make great bottom feeders

There is a wide range of 'bottom feeders' available to you. Already mentioned are Corydoras catfish which remain small enough for a 20 gallon tank. Various species of smaller loaches like the Yo-Yo Loach (Botia almorhae) will also serve in this function. The best algae eaters for smaller aquarius are the Otocinclus catfish (though they are a bit sensitive and may not be the best for a beginning aquarist) and the various types of 'Rubber-nosed Plecostomus'.

Crabs and crayfish are also good 'bottom feeders'....HOWEVER....they are omnivorous and won't turn down a nice snack of fish if they can catch one (and they can sometimes be very good at doing this). Ghost Shrimp fall into the same category though they have smaller pincers and aren't as likely to be able to snag a decent-sized fish.

Hope this helps!

[center:163fcc103a] Welcome to AA, cghill! :n00b: [/center:163fcc103a]
Many people love their shrimp as "different" bottom feeders. Look around to find the correct kind.
I love cory cats and find they do a great job. For a smaller tank like yours, I would go for cories and a small species of pleco. I have a Rubber Lip (known by many names) in my 50 and one in my 10 gal. They get 4-5" and are not fast growers. Other small plecos include clowns and the pitbull. I also have a common pleco (these get large!) in my 80 gal. I find they all clean algae very well, but YMMV!

Also I believe that crabs need to have access to the surface and are great at escaping tanks.

Many "blue" lobsters can get very large for a small tank like a 20 gallon.

If you like crabs or crayfish then why not skip fish altogether and have a cool crab tank with a central rock pile for them to climb.

Fruitbat said:
Crabs and crayfish are also good 'bottom feeders'....HOWEVER....they are omnivorous and won't turn down a nice snack of fish if they can catch one (and they can sometimes be very good at doing this). Ghost Shrimp fall into the same category though they have smaller pincers and aren't as likely to be able to snag a decent-sized fish.

Hope this helps!

Watch out for other shrimps that are "long arm" variety as those will eat small fish if given the opportunity just like crabs. I think the only fish ghost shrimp will eat are fry...but I never witnessed any of my ghost shrimp eating any guppy fry. I also found that if you have a nice mass of java moss the ghost shrimp can hide from fish which might consume it within the mass and then they come out at night to forage.

Back
Top Bottom