Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Brackish Aquarium - Filter & Substrate

Last year, a friend of mine decided to setup a marine aquarium with coral and clown fish after being inspired by the movie "Finding Nemo". Let's just say that things went wrong and everything died. She gave up and gave the fish tank to me two days ago.

Here is a pic of the tank:

I estimate that the tank capacity is about 120 litres or 3 gallons.

I decided that I want to use the tank to set up a brackish aquarium and keep a couple of Puffer Fish caught from my local area (Morten Bay, Brisbane, Australia).

I went and brought a Canister Filter that has three chambers. From the design, it looks like water is pumped to the bottom then forced up through the filters so the bottom chamber is the first chamber and the top chamber is the last chamber.
Age of Aquariums - JHW-303B + 9W UV Sterilizer

Each chamber comes with a foam pad which is listed as "Biochemical Cotton" by the manufacturer. The shop also throw in a box of Actived Carbon
Age of Aquariums - FISH 101 Activated Carbon 400gm
and Breathing Bio-Rings
Age of Aquariums - FISH 101 Breathing Bio Rings 450gm
for free when I brought the Canister Filter.

There is not much instruction but from what I have researched, Actived Carbon is optional and should be placed in the middle chamber if used. Bio-Rings are usually placed in the last chamber which is the top chamber in my case. Is that correct?

So, the setup should be:
In -> Foam Pad -> Actived Carbon -> Bio-Rings -> Out ?

If I don't use the Activated Carbon, it is
In -> Foam Pad -> Foam Pad -> Bio-Rings -> Out ?

As you can see from the first picture, the tank comes with leftover substrate which seems to be really coarse sand I think; I am not sure. Should I replace it or just rinse and reuse? Here is a close up pic:

Tags
brackish, filter, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com