Brackish water stocking levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenmaji

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just had a though.. I have never kept brackish water fish before but...
I know that the recommended stocking level for FW is 1 inch per gallon and according to our calculator on Aquarium Advice the recommended stocking level for SW is 1 inch of fish per five gallons of water.. so if there is a difference in stocking levels between these what would the recommended stocking level be for brackish water fish? :D :D I might decide to do brackish water but I was wondering mostly because there have been a few posts lately about brackish water.. TIA

The 1 inch per gallon rule is good for beginners.
My advice for your brackish tank, or any tank for that matter would be to start small. Don't fully stock your tank from the start. Look up the space needs of the specific fish you would like to keep, and then think if it's possible to keep other fish with that specie. Adjust your tank size to the fish you'd like to keep. :wink:

I also think other things are to be considered for brackish water (salinity level). Keeping all parameters stable is easier with less fish.

Or if u like, I'll make up a rule and say it's 1 inch per 3 gallon. (1inch fw per gal+ 1inch per 5gal divided by 2 is 1 inch per 3 gal! :p)

LOL... err.. I was thinking of the salinity level that there suppose to have and that rule has left me as well. I havnt thought about this in many years..LOL. I could make up my own rule by comparing the salinity level of brackish to SW percentage wise and go from there.. but I dont remember the rule of thumb about the salinity level for brackish or SW..LOL

I knew that it wasnt that important I just wanted an idea were to go from.. I dont use the rules I just use them as a good jumping off point.. I just wanted a good jumping off point for BW.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
thanks by the way :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Different fish need different amounts. On the average, low-end BW is at a SG (specific gravity, a measurement of salt w/a hydrometer) of 1.005. For me, it takes roughly a cup pf salt/5gal to make that.

Back
Top Bottom