Brainstorming Compatible Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TipYourNurse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I'm a newbie to keeping aquariums. I currently have a 5 gallon with two mollies and a peppered cory cat in it. I realized quickly how small this tank actually is when fish are in it. I have a 20 gallon in the works and I'm thinking of what to put in it that would be compatible with my mollies. I'd really like a dwarf gourami. Has anyone had problems with these two species interacting? Any other stocking ideas?

Any input and advice is appreciated. :)

What sex are the mollies? They will get bigger than you think. 1m to 2-3 females is best. They should get along with a dwarf gourami. You will also want to add 3-4 more corys. Corys are much better and a lot more fun in groups.

Then you can get a nice Betta for your 5 gallon.

What sex are the mollies? They will get bigger than you think. 1m to 2-3 females is best. They should get along with a dwarf gourami. You will also want to add 3-4 more corys. Corys are much better and a lot more fun in groups.

Then you can get a nice Betta for your 5 gallon.

From what I was told, they're both male. I'm glad to hear they should all get along and I will definitely look into getting more corys. Would it matter if they're different types of corys? For example, putting panda corys with my peppered, or will they all be happy together regardless?

That's funny that you mention getting a Betta for the 5 gallon as I was considering the same thing after it has been cleared out!

Thanks for your input.

I have 4 types of cory in my tank (1panda, 1 albino, 1 Julii and 2 melanistus) and they school fine. However that is just my experience in my tank with those particular fish not a professional opinion by any stretch :D

I agree about keeping the same species, other types will shoal together but they won't school like they do with their own kind. Some that are closely related, or the same species, like most albino corys and corydoras anaeus, will school together, but otherwise I haven't seen any real schooling behavior out of the ones I keep together.

Back
Top Bottom