Brainstorming my first aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerMcAllen

Aquarium Advice Addict
The last time I had an aquarium 10 years ago, I would take everything out of the tank, including gravel, and thouroughly wash it with soap. I plan on doing it right this time, I hope.

What I plan to set up is a cat tank with some plecos and maybe a few cories. What I have now are:
20 gal long
Penguin 170 Biowheel
Gravel
Anarchis
Some Medium Rocks
Some Nice Hunks of driftwood

First, is there anything else I need?

My second question is can I extend the intake on my biowheel? It seems stupid to have the intake directly below the output. Could I attack a piece of flexline to the end, hang the wheel on one end and have the intake piped to the other end. My thought was that this would generate a nice flow along the length of the tank.

Be careful with the plecos and the plants. When they get big, sometimes they will disturb a plant while looking for food, so just be prepared. Also, you will need a heater and an air stone. Although plants do provide oxygen, it has been my experience that catfish like the current and the feel of the bubbles.

The only other thing I will comment on is that a penguin biowheel 125 should be plenty for a 20 gal tank...might want to check into that....it'll save you some bucks. I don't know about altering the biowheel...someone else will have to pipe in about that.

$3 difference at my lfs. The anarchis is not a showcase, but rather a pond refuge so I don't really care if it is eaten/torn apart. Thanks for the input.

BTW, does anyone see a problem with boosting my cycle by using 50% pond water, some gravel, and some bio balls from my pond.

Anything to speed up the cycle is a good idea. A tank of cories will be really fun. But be careful which pleco you get. Some of those guys (the common included) get to be 2 feet in length. Far too big for your tank. Make sure to get dwarf types like bristlenose. Go to www.planetcatfish.com for ideas and really good write ups.

More filtration with bottom feeders is always the way to go, especially with plecos.

Driftwood is needed to keep plecos healthy.

Since you are just setting things up I would suggest using the fishless cycle to make your tank nice and healthy. And since you have some bacteria to start things will go much faster.

I already have the plecos, I am pretty sure they are just commons. If they get to big, I will just have to get a bigger tank. I would hate for that to happen. If they do get way to big, then I will have to go with my original large plastic bin idea next year.

Thanks for the advices tkos, I love planetcatfish. It's too bad I don't quite understand what they are saying most of the time.

Edit:
Ok lmw80, I got an airstone. Are you suggesting I set it up like a UGF or just letting it hang free?

The commons will definalty out grow the tank. Unlike some fish that seem to get stunted in their growth by smaller tanks, plecos just keep growing.

to extend it i wonder if thoose aquaclear extentions work with it both are the same looking shape

Back
Top Bottom