Brand new 5G. Looking for advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StellaStars

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!

Just purchased a 5G kit yesterday and got it set up with filter, heater, lamp, gravel, and fake plants. Also two of the little feeder fish (minnows?) that the store called "itty bitties" to help get the bacteria going in the tank.

I had fish as a kid, and in college, but I've never had a heated tank or had anything fancy.

The folks at the store impressed upon me that 5G isn't big enough for most things, but made it sound like 5 tetras would be okay, along with maybe a frog, an otto, or even a betta.

Reading now, it sounds like many folks would say it isn't big enough for 5 tetras. I sure don't think I'll try for a betta and other fish.

I'm thinking now of maybe the tetras with either a snail or some shrimp?

I'd also like to introduce live plants, but I was advised to wait until the tank had cycled.

I'd love some advice, but please be gentle.

60bfbfaf8d5a005eab9c03eda9ce6a44.jpg

Hello!

Just purchased a 5G kit yesterday and got it set up with filter, heater, lamp, gravel, and fake plants. Also two of the little feeder fish (minnows?) that the store called "itty bitties" to help get the bacteria going in the tank.

I had fish as a kid, and in college, but I've never had a heated tank or had anything fancy.

The folks at the store impressed upon me that 5G isn't big enough for most things, but made it sound like 5 tetras would be okay, along with maybe a frog, an otto, or even a betta.

Reading now, it sounds like many folks would say it isn't big enough for 5 tetras. I sure don't think I'll try for a betta and other fish.

I'm thinking now of maybe the tetras with either a snail or some shrimp?

I'd also like to introduce live plants, but I was advised to wait until the tank had cycled.

I'd love some advice, but please be gentle.

60bfbfaf8d5a005eab9c03eda9ce6a44.jpg

Hello!

tetras are pretty big for a 5g. IMO only neons could work.

A Betta is perfectly fine in a 5g.

That's great you know of cycling. We will be glad to help if you have questions about it.

Live plants are perfectly fine when cycling. They feed off ammonia unlike fish which ammonia can harm.

Or you could do a shrimp tank!

Caleb

Hello!

tetras are pretty big for a 5g. IMO only neons could work.

A Betta is perfectly fine in a 5g.

That's great you know of cycling. We will be glad to help if you have questions about it.

Live plants are perfectly fine when cycling. They feed off ammonia unlike fish which ammonia can harm.

Or you could do a shrimp tank!

Caleb

Thanks, Caleb!

Yes, I believe these were the neon tetras.

As for plants, I guess I'll probably need low light. Not sure the LED light the tank came with is the best.

Could the tetras and shrimp live together?

Whenever you keep shrimp they need plenty of hiding places. Only the smallest of nano fish will leave them alone completely. Shrimp also love live plants and moss balls/wall.

Caleb

Easy low light plants:

Vallisneria
Amazon swords (root tabs)
Wisteria
Anubias(not planted, tied down)
Java Fern(tied down, will establish to rocks/wood)
Bacopa Caroliniana
Java moss** shrimp love
Moss balls

Caleb

I would ditch the tetras and go for just a betta fish. Tetras like more space than a 5 gallon provides. That said, you could get away with 5 neons in a 5 gallon.

The LED lights that come with most tank kits are too weak for prettymuch any plants.

I would ditch the tetras and go for just a betta fish. Tetras like more space than a 5 gallon provides. That said, you could get away with 5 neons in a 5 gallon.

The LED lights that come with most tank kits are too weak for prettymuch any plants.

This is generally true. Almost all base lights with my tanks are purely display. None can support more than Anubias. I had to order stronger ones.

Caleb

Thanks for all the advice!

Yeah, I guess I should upgrade the light.

I love moss balls. I have some small ones, but I was just eying larger ones at the store.

Looks like the little red shrimp might be a good fit, with plenty of moss and plants.

Also, talked to the folks at the shop, and they suggested Rasbora instead of the tetra (I think it was the harlequin rasbora they had in stock.) I also saw a tiny clown killi which was pretty cute, but they only had one.

So now I'm thinking maybe a few of the rasbora and some shrimp.

I've still got a few weeks to wait.

Should I do plants first or fish first? Or can they go in together? They suggested waiting six months for the shrimp - does that sound right?

Thanks again. I really appreciate it!

If you want schooling fish, look up some of the types of micro rasboras. I have a school of 14 in a 5.5g and they are great! Look up chili rasboras.

Harlequins I think are pretty big for that tank. I would say neon tetras would be more suitable than harlequins, and I would be iffy on the neon tetras.

If you want schooling fish, look up some of the types of micro rasboras. I have a school of 14 in a 5.5g and they are great! Look up chili rasboras.

Harlequins I think are pretty big for that tank. I would say neon tetras would be more suitable than harlequins, and I would be iffy on the neon tetras.

Thank you. Those look cute. I'll have to see if anywhere local carries them.

Any other good bets for a tank this small?

The frogs are super cute. I had one of those as a kid.

As for the light - how many hours a day do you leave it on? Does it depend on the plants and critters in the tank?

The frogs are super cute. I had one of those as a kid.

As for the light - how many hours a day do you leave it on? Does it depend on the plants and critters in the tank?

8 hours a day on a normal tank.

On my planted tank I do 4 on, 2 off, 4 on.

Caleb

On a normal tank I don't think it matters too much. I just turn it on during the period I'll be home and looking at it. Planted tanks, 8 hours is good.

Now the tank is planted, and has a couple of white cloud minnows.

e8a26ea20abb3f2ff4cc289742674f6d.jpg

They cycling is going really well. After initially being up to .5, the ammonia tested at 0 today. I've been adding the bacteria starter suggested at the store.

Just added a couple more plants yesterday (not in the picture above)

I still think I'll get a better light. Especially as I'm adding plants, I don't want them to shadow the plants below.

As for fish, I've been doing a lot of research and paying a lot of visits to The Wet Spot (my lfs)

I've been looking at the Indian Glassfish. The folks at the store said they didn't get more than an inch, but everything online says up to 3 inches.

Also looking at the Neon Green Rasboras and the Neon Blue Rasboras.

It'll probably be another week or two before I actually add more fish.

I used to think my clouds were boring cos they basically do what clouds in the sky do but after about 2 months i noticed the males having display showdowns with eachother, theyre pretty cool.

Galaxy rasbora's ( aka celestial pearl danios ) are good little fish that only get to about 1 inch, little bit more expensive than clouds, think my clouds cost me $1.50 ea, the galaxy's cost me $8 ea but I'd pay that again

Back
Top Bottom