Breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezimmer1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking of starting a breeding tank. I have an empty 5 gal. But I can't make up my mind about what kind of fish I should get to breed? Would I need to put like gravel in it? Filter? Light? Caves and what not? Can I sell them to petsmart or petco? Or trade them? I think I need some advice:]

Ezimmer1990 said:
I'm thinking of starting a breeding tank. I have an empty 5 gal. But I can't make up my mind about what kind of fish I should get to breed? Would I need to put like gravel in it? Filter? Light? Caves and what not? Can I sell them to petsmart or petco? Or trade them? I think I need some advice:]

What kind of fish are you thinking to breed??? It should have everything a normal tank would have. You should make it to "their natural environment " chain pet stores give you little money or more money on store credit. I think you can trade them to private sellers and other people. Some fish like caves to breed in. Livebearers are easy but you don't get much money from them.

Okay. I have a bag of gravel. And caves and fake plants eww. I have a breeder box so I could put the fish in there when it looks like its gonna give birth. I was think live bearers but how long would it take for the eggs to come out and hatch?

Ezimmer1990 said:
Okay. I have a bag of gravel. And caves and fake plants eww. I have a breeder box so I could put the fish in there when it looks like its gonna give birth. I was think live bearers but how long would it take for the eggs to come out and hatch?

Well it depends on what fish with the eggs but livebearers just give live birth. Mollys,platys,guppys,and couple others are livebearers. I did platys. All 3 eat their young. I dont think livebearer need caves to breed.

The only livebearers I know of that I would be able to breed in a 5 Gallon long term are guppies, mosquitofish, and endler's livebearers. They don't have eggs, they give birth to live young. You can either choose to sell them to PetSmart as feeders or you can try to make your own strains and see if that gets you any money (guppies are very common, so be aware that some shops will take them in and not give you money because they've got plenty or simply will use them as feeders).

Ezimmer1990 said:
What if I did platys?

I did mine in a 10G but maybe you could squeeze 2 in a 5G but I think the ratio for breeding is 2males:3females

I always thought it was 2 females to 1 male. But I could be wrong.

Ezimmer1990 said:
I always thought it was 2 females to 1 male. But I could be wrong.

You could be right I always get my ratios confused but you can look it up to make sure.

Ezimmer1990 said:
What if I did platys?

It could work short term, but it wouldn't be a permanent home, too small IMO. A ten gallon could work better, or you could simply move the platies from the five gallon to the main tank and vice versa, although I think that seems a little impractical and might put the fish under stress.

Well why I was thinking was having the plates mate then once it gives birth I will take the platys out and pt them in the main tank.

LyndaB said:
As mentioned, 5 gallons is too small for breeding platies.

It said They are too small to LIVE in the 5 gallon. I clearly said that once it have birth I would move it to the main tank. Jsbdksbd

I would say make it a shrimp colony, it could be a permanent home for some shrimp and I think you'll have an easier time selling shrimp over livebearers. Especially if you go with CRS or other less common species

I think killis can be spawned in 5g tanks, make sure you use a breeding mop and move the fish into the main tank when they're done.

It said They are too small to LIVE in the 5 gallon. I clearly said that once it have birth I would move it to the main tank. Jsbdksbd

So the 5 gallon is the breeding tank, right? You plan on keeping 50 platy fry in there to grow out?

And what is jsbdksbd..... I don't do text, if that's what it is.

So the 5 gallon is the breeding tank, right? You plan on keeping 50 platy fry in there to grow out?

And what is jsbdksbd..... I don't do text, if that's what it is.
Yes. Well not all of them will live. So i wont have 50 fry. That was just a bunch of random letters:fish1:gbfugadfjbg

Back
Top Bottom