Breeding african malawi cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys. I'm interested in breeding these type of cichlids and was looking for advice and what I would need to order for a breeding tank etc. I saw one on amazon for $8 free shipping

I know I have to have the water conditions good and I also read I should get 3 females for every 1 male.

Will pet stores know if they are selling me females?

Has anyone done this and has success stories or tips?

Thx very much. All guidance is greatly appreciated.

For most mbuna, clean water and food is all you need. Males should have 4-6 females each. If you want to keep the fry, a 10g tank (or even a 20, etc) to place the female in once she's ready to spit the fry would be pretty much a necessity. A good quality food will keep the fish healthy and prime for breeding. I always fed mine NLS Cichlid formula and had great results. I never tried to keep fry, I had females holding all the time, but the fry just became snacks.

Thanks so much for your insight rookie. I'd like to try to breed the electric yellows... You say you had fish in holding all the time so it appears they are pretty easy to breed. I read they start breeding at about 2". I ordered some NLS cichlid formula thanks for your recommendation. I have a 10 gallon tank ready for a holding cichlid. Any other tips? While the female is in holding is it safe to cApture her in a net to put in the 10 gallon? What about feeding?

How long does the NLS formula last and how much and often should I feed my 12 yellow labs?

Thx:)

I never used nets with mine... they cause too much stress IMO. When she's holding, she aint gonna eat much, if anything. The small container of NLS lasted me about a year feeding once every 2-3 days, and I was feeding about 35 fish.

Just do 50% pwc's weekly, feed em the NLS, and you'll have babies.

Thanks so much :) I'm hoping I got lucky with my male to female ratio as I couldn't buy them sexed at 1.5". The 50% PWC weekly was exactly what I was wondering! Do you think I should only feed them every 2-3 days? Also is the type of gravel very important to have? I have gravel on the larger side. It's too big for them to pick up in their mouth to make burrows and move it around :( is this factor important? I do have plenty of hiding places though. I have the Master kit for testing nitrates so I'll use that as a rule of when to so water changes but how much nitrates are acceptable to them? I read they can tolerate nitrates easily but I don't want to over do it. I'm wondering if I should be all set with the M:F ratio since I picked out 12 of the same species. It's too bad some of them seem hybrid tho. Thx again

I was also wondering if you noticed that the NLS formula improved the color of your cichlids like it advertises? Thanks!

Does the size of gravel matter and what temperature should I set for the water? Thx

And rook can I ask why you only feed them every 2-3 days? And any tips on how to transfer the female in holding to another tank without stressing her? Can I just let her have her babys in the same tank or will the other guys eat them? What about tank dividers? Thx :)

Back
Top Bottom