Brown Algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewTanker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so we have what I believe to be brown algea spreading on the glass of our tank. I need some advice on how to get rid of it and control it.

Here is some history on our tank....

We did a fishless cycle in December which was complete in 3 weeks. It is a 10 gallon tank with dirt and gravel substrate and live plants. After the fishless cycle was complete, we added 8 neons. We have since added 4 cory cats and 2 red cherry shrimp. Everyone has seemed to be very happy so far and the tank has looked extemely clean. We had a slight bit of green algae showing up on the light cover, so we clean that regularly and have reduced the light to 7-8 hours a day. Just this week, brown algae has started to show up on the front glass of the tank. It does not appear to be anywhere else, but it is spreading. I tested to water to see if anything was unusual. Ammonia is at 0ppm, nitrites are at 0ppm, and nitrates are at 5ppm. I have done some research and have read that it is very easy to clean. The problem, however, is that most of it is pretty low on the glass, and I am looking for another solution to avoid regular massive water changes in case the problem is reoccuring. Is there something I can do to get rid of and prevent this stuff? I thought maybe there was a type of sucker fish that would work, but it doesn't seem like there are any that would work in a 10 gal tank. Plus, I already have a good stock of fish and don't want to overcrowd it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Brown algae are diatoms, which are very common in newer setups. 90% of the time it will take care of itself. I would give it a few weeks before I would worry about it.

I agree with the above advice. In the meantime you can also try lowering the lighting time to 5 or 6 hours. This will not harm the plants. Also nerite snails and otocilous catfish love to eat diatoms. For cleaning algae manually, I have found the best tool to be an unused toothbrush :) it's great for getting down low right above the gravel and in tight corners. You don't even have to remove any water to use it.

Get a snail, you can get them pretty tiny and with pretty shells.

Might want to clarify which type of snail. Getting a ramshorn or pond snail could cause the OP to end up with a tank covered in snails in no time.

Ok, great ideas. I will clean it up with a toothbrush. What kind of snail would you recommend? I don't want something that will breed and overtake the tank. What type and where can I find them?

I'm not an expert on snails, just get one so it can't reproduce. Then they won't overtake your tank. Research different types of snails to decide which one works best for you.

Also, I need some help. I started a topic about keeping gouramis called gourami tank. If anyone could answer the questions I asked there, that would be great!:)

I'm not an expert on snails, just get one so it can't reproduce. Then they won't overtake your tank. Research different types of snails to decide which one works best for you.

Ramshorn and pond snails can reproduce asexually so you only need one. Nerites are your best bet. I've gotten all mine at petco.
Mystery snails are fun but they prefer to eat meaty foods over algae.

Good Lord! Why don't you tell what kind of snail is best instead of making me look stupid?!

Thanks everyone for the help! We got a Nerite snail on Sunday and he has done wonders! Super fun to watch too, the kids love it!

Back
Top Bottom